Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

remington 710

Old 11-21-2004, 08:39 PM

Default RE: remington 710

i had a feind buy one at wal-mart, my liked it until he shot my 700, when i shot his, it shoots ok, however it feels like crap on your shoulder.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, if the proponents of the M710 on this thread are right, then it's only a matter of time before the M710 takes the Benchrest shooting community by storm! Oh, wait, nevermind, those guys actually accurately measure their groups. I'd like to actually see a target with a genuine sub-MOA group from an M710. I've seen groups shot by others with M710's at my local range, and they aren't terrible, but they aren't notable either.

The fact of the matter is that you can't polish a turd, no matter how hard you try. That's a simple truth.

To be honest, I havn't owned an M710, and I never want to. If someone gave me one I'd take it straight to a dealer and be happy to get $100 out of it in trade for a quality gun. The first time I saw one I picked it up and the first thing that came to mind was, "what a piece of ****." Looks like something you'd see on the set of "Junkyard Wars." I've owned a lot of guns, and I've been around guns and a gun enthusiest all my life, and I know a POS gun when I see one, and the M710 is definately that. Why anyone would spend even $400 on a new 710 is beyond me when a new M700ADL can be had for less then $500. Same goes for a Savage 110, and the low end Winchester Model 70.

I guess for me it boils down to this: I'd rather save and spend a little more once and have a quality rifle that I can rely on, than buy a cheap POS and end up buying twice.

Mike
Old 11-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

OK, I've got a couple of targets from the two times I've been to the range with my 710.

The first target was my initial attempt at sighting in my rifle. I used Federal 150 gr loads (Sierra Game King bullets). They're the $15/box ammo. The circled holes are either other ammo I tried on the same target or shots I made to "get on paper". The group of 4 near the center was my final "test".
Target 1

I went back today and tried to get dialed in to hit in the pretty orange center, but ran out of daylight. This target has three different ammos, all fired within about 5 minutes (yeah, I know, probably lost some acccuracy due to the barrel heating up). Anyway, the center group is again Federal 150gr BTSP ammo. The upper left was the second group - 4 shots - I shot and was Rem Corelokt 150 gr PSP ammo. The third group of 4 was Remington Managed Recoil loads (125 gr PSP). The hole in 'score' at the top of the sheet is not a bullet hole.
Target 2

I think I may have rushed through the Remington ammo, so I'll try it again later.