HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - remington 710
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Bad Hayes

Default RE: remington 710

I bought a 710 and I am not unhappy with it. For the purpose I used it for I don't think it can be beat. I was doing forestry surveys and always found myself in the middle of the bush spooking game while I was working. I don't really actively hunt bears, but I while I am deer hunting I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one if it walked by. I run into them all the time while doing surveys, I figure I'm out there, why not take a crack at one. Same goes for a moose calf. I bought the 710 mainly for two reasons. One, it was the first rifle I would buy, and 2, when I am doing surveys I have to trek through the nastiest bush you can think of. It's is all clear cuts that have aged 4-10 years. The bush is thick and sometimes the cut blocks are chemically or manually tended. I fall hard all the time. I wanted a rifle that I wasn't afraid to beat up from time to time. The 710 is suited well to that and it shoots great. It ain't pretty to look at but it does the job well for me. I have immersed myself way more into hunting and shooting since I bought the 710 and now I plan to upgrade, but when I head out for surveys there will only be one gun I reach for.

Wouldn't you know it though, bears or moose calves don't seem to jump out in front of me while I am doing surveys anymore.