Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Russian made SAIGA-12

Old 08-10-2004, 09:18 AM

Default Russian made SAIGA-12

Wonderig if anyone has seen, felt, fired one of the SAIGA AK based shotguns? Opinions encouraged please.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Russian made SAIGA-12

I saw one at a gun show. I'm not a real big fan of AK type guns, so I really didn't care for it. I was told by a guy that has one that if you leave the clips loaded, the springs will damage the shells??? Don't know if that is true, but sounds like a pain to me.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:49 PM

A buddy of mine has one in .410. It's a fun little gun to shoot. Seems to be reliable. I don't know about the magazine issue. He never leaves it loaded.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. How would you rate the fit and finish overall? I am not expecting much for the price but Russian designed and manufactured weapons although not greatly refined, generally are tough as nails, reliable, and simple to operate. Can't find one in a local shop to eyeball and have not seen one at a local show so far. I find this interesting only because the AK action has demonstrated exceptional reliability. An AK may be the only auto loader that is less accurate than a Ruger mini 14 but in a short range scatter gun who is looking for precision. Thanks again for any opinions offered.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything that I've read about the Saiga shotguns has been positive- they are very reliable. Fit and finish is pretty much what you would expect from a combloc weapon- mostly cosmetic flaws like scratches, but nothing that effects the weapon's function.
I'm not sure how they would work for wing shooting, but I've heard of people buying them for 3-gun matches and really liking them for that purpose.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:05 PM

I fired the 12g version. Kind of goofy, actually. It has all the AK virtues and vices but also includes extra weight. The one I fired had no recoil pad and that butt bouncing back into my shoulder felt like a mule kick. Will have to admit, though, it never jammed.

Of course, fit and finish are suspect at best. Also, the safe/fire mechanism is really cheesy and if you actually use it eventually it will leave a groove in the metal plate on the rifle.

If you do buy one, clean it thoroughly before firing. I've never seen such a filthy mechanism straight from the factory. Even my SKS that had been in storage for 25+ years didn't have that much filth and crap in the bolt mechanism.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:45 AM

Thanks for the review. A local shop has decided to order a few so I will actually get to take a look for myself in a few weeks. Not really sure what perked my interest, guess they seem like a low cost toy to play with. AK actions and Russian manufacturing are what they are. Nothing fancy, a little crued, but seem to function. I am not a huge fan of the AK action, but did find it interesting that they went through the trouble of designing an action just for use as a shotgun. Keep in mind that the AK action was designed for. I have been tinkering with the Russian made Makarov handguns for many years and have learned to love and hate Russian manufacturing and desgin.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:28 PM

I read an article on these because I was interested also. The "PRO" shotgun staff (I think it was 4) All hacked this gun to pieces because of the looks, style, fit, finish, appearance, ect. After 500 rds on each 12,20&410 by each of the 4 writers, ALL gave it really good marks for accuracy,performance,ect. all the things that really count. I've handled them and the feel is very much like the AK or SK. For the price compared to most autoloaders how could you go wrong?
Old 09-10-2004, 09:48 AM

I looked at the SAIGA 12 as a duck/goose gun. A local shop had one with a 3 in chamber and screw in chokes. I hunt on salt water so I wanted something that would work in bad conditions. The problem was how to block the magazines to only two shells so I just got a pump shotgun.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Spike

They're reliable but don't handle well. They're very heavy and bulky and they kick too much for a gun that heavy. I have a friend who bought one and it was kinda interesting the first time we took it out to play. Now it sits in his closet.