Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Saiga 12

Old 11-17-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Saiga 12

I have a saiga 12 shotgun with a 10 round clip, does anyone else have one or shoot one, let me know what you all think, thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 AM

Default RE: Saiga 12

I had a siaga in 7.62x39, it was the biggest POS gun I ever owned. NASTY trigger, poor workmanship and the most inaccurate gun I have shot. It wasn't worth the 200 bucks I paid for it. I wish I would have gotten another SKS instead.

I have looked at the shotguns, and they look like cool toys, but I wouldn't want to hunt with or depend on one. I have heard of some of them having cycling issues. And if something goes wrong with it you might as well just throw it away. If you can find anyone to fix it you may pay more than the gun is worth.

For the same price range I would suggest a nice single shot or a mossberg/maverick pump gun. They don't have the "cool" factor, but they are pretty much bullet proof.

If you have the extra cash and want a toy then get one. I look at them every time I go to the gun store, but I know it would just be a toy or a conversation piece. I am not leaving my browning A-5 at home why I take a siaga into the field.

My opinion though is if you want something cheap and fun with that tactical look get a Hi Point 9mm carbine. You will probably have better luck with that.

Nothing more than my opinions, some really love them. The one I had looked like it was made in someones garage with left over sheet metal, some metal tubing and a bench grinder. And it performed about the same as it looked.

Paul
Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 AM

The cycling problems with the saiga shotgun are due to the user not setting the gas piston correctly. When it is set right, it will work every time. I have a saiga .223 that is more accurate than I had anticipated, but I have heard many complaints from others, mostly from those who own a 7.62x39 version. I haven't heard too many complaints from the folks with the .308 or .223 versions. My next autoloader shotgun is going to be a saiga.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:30 AM

I have heard the .308's are pretty accurate as well. I used to belong to the Siaga forums but haven't been there in a while.

I have heard of people having trouble with them even with the settings correct. I mean don't expect miracles out of a gun that cheap.

My biggest point is if I was only going to have one gun the siaga wouldn't be my first choice. If you have others and just want something to play with then why not. Like I said I have been thinking of getting one (a 12 or 20) just to play with.

I couldn't in good conscience recommend a 7.62x39 version though.

Do a yahoo or google search on them.

Paul
Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 AM

Once every couple of years, my nephew invites me to go duck hunting with him. I want to get the saiga just to see the look on his face when I show up at the blind.