Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What Type of Shotgun?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Type of Shotgun?

I have a Marlin model 512 bolt action. It's no piece of art, but it shoots real well. Put a Bushnell 1.5-5x on it, good enough for me for the hunting I do. I bought it new for like 230 a few years back. Should be able to find a used one out there for 200 or so.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Benelli has the smoothest actions on the market. If i was going to get a shotgun it would be a benelli. Ithica offers a rifled slug barrel for the nova now.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:42 AM

If you're on a budget, go with a Rem 870. You can get a good deal on the express at WalMart. IMHO
Old 06-30-2004, 05:49 PM

In order to help we need some more information. Will you be hunting deer with slugs or buckshot? If using buckshot then get a 12GA. If you will be using slugs then a 20GA is more than enough. Also some states specifically state "Smooth Bore" while others allow use of "Rifled Barrel". Where are you located? Will you be using the gun just for deer or other game as well? For what you pay for a used gun you could go to WalMart® or Big5® & buy a new Mossberg®, Remington®, or Winchester® pump.

Give us some more information & all the guys & gals here will try to help you. Regards.....
Boy, David was SPOT ON with his answer. It could not have been put any better. We would like to help you, but the is just hardly any way without having the answers he has aked for. No offense, but your question would be about like asking, "I want a car. I will be driving it down 3rd St. What should I get?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:56 PM

I'll be hunting deer with slugs, but I've been told to stick with 12 ga. by everyone I've spoken with so I am thinking I am going to go with that. I am located in Ohio and can use the rifled barrel. I'll be hunting deer, turkeys, and bird with this shotgun.

Now, I've been told mossberg guns are like yugos and aren't worth anything. I am leaning towards ithica, remington and benelli at this point since I can get a nice benelli pump for about $325.

Hopefully that gets you the information needed to help me out
Old 07-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Mosseburg 695 bolt action or a Browning A-bolt if you can find one.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Remington 870.......inexpensive, good and reliable....
Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM

Just bought my 870 tonight. Hell of a gun.

Thanks for the help guys.