Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 300wby mag loads for whitetails >

300wby mag loads for whitetails

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

300wby mag loads for whitetails

Old 06-12-2004, 07:49 AM

Default 300wby mag loads for whitetails

i know before i start,there are those that will say the 300 mag is too much gun for whitetail.however,i have taken dozens of deer over the years with the 30-06 150 gr rem corlokt and never saw the reason to use anything else until now.i sighted my 300 mag in with the 150 gr wby sp only because it was flat and accurate.my question to you guys that shoot belted mags is what load or bullet type would work best for me shooting on a pipeline where shots range from 50-400 yards?i normally take heart shots when the opportunity is there to try to keep from ruining too much meat.any advice appreciated,especially on the 150 gr sp. btw,the only reason i have the mag is that i always wanted one and i had a chance to swap a rem 700 30-06 for the gun and i already had a wby 30-06 i bought in 1970.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 300wby mag loads for whitetails

I would'nt know to be honest.

I use my trusty old Remington Mod. 700 BDL in the 270 Cal. for any deer hunting that I do.

I own alot of the Super Mag type of guns , but will not use them on the deer sized game.
To me that is a little OVER KILL.

My 270 works just FINE.

130 GR. Horn. bullets
RE 22 powder.
Fed. Primers.
Win. Brass. = DEAD DEER.

Never felt that I needed to use my 338 RUM to kill deer. They really are not that hard to kill.

hunter338
Old 06-13-2004, 09:44 AM
bigcountry

Probably reloading might get ya more hits. I like 4350 for the weatherby. They are finicky, due to freebore. I don't like the 150 sp tip, I like the 165gr ballistic tip. I have had great luck out of the barnes bullets also.

Hunter338, I am curious, why didn't you just answer the guys question. I mean I have a few RUM's myself, and don't use them for deer, but it ain't none of my business if he does. Everybody is so insecure if someone else doesn't use what they use.

I think its outstanding that a guy would have a large battery of guns. Sometimes I shoot deer with a 243 mauser, sometimes 308win, sometimes 7400 in 270win. For kicks, I have shot deer with my 300RUM. Variety is the spice of life.

Old 06-13-2004, 10:27 AM

bc,thanks for the reply.as you said, i have several guns and could take whitetails with any of them including my .22 and .17 hmr which would both be legal to use.my question is basicly,for flat shooting, which bullet is the best for expansion with minimal meat loss. what exactly is the spire point compared to the other types ie.ballistic,corelokt,hp etc. ?i have used the corelokt all my life in .270 and 30-06 with no problems.i chose the wby brand and spire point only because of the accuracy of the groups,i only took one whitetail with the .300 and it was a neck shot at 50 yards which did not tell me anything about the sp.any bullet would have done the same thing.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

loner.

I guess that I owe you an appol. so here it goes. I am Sorry.

I like the Horn. Spire Points in 160 to 165 gr. They are a very dependible bullet, cost is low, and have allways shot tight groups.

BC. its not that I am insecure about what someone else likes to use to shoot deer. I just personaly think it is a bit of an overkill.
Guess I dont understand.

I own all kinds of different guns in different cals. wach of which have different uses. I am not condeming loner becouse he wants to use his new gun for deer. To each their own.

loner there are two types of sp bullet. One is the Soft Point and the other the Spire Point. The Soft Point is just that soft. It does not require heavy hide or bone to get it to mushroom. The Spire Point is a cheaper type of Partition style of bullet.

hunter338
Old 06-14-2004, 09:06 AM
bigcountry

Well, hunter, I believe a 270win is definately overkill for deer. Thats the reason 80%of my time is bowhunting. But I use the 270win to get out my fustration after a long season of bow hunting. I know its overkill, but it makes me feel better after them bastards stay 40 yards from me all season. Then gets a big surprise after Thanksgiving.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used the 165 gr. Barnes TSX in my .300 Wby last year on Mississippi deer. It worked out really well.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:50 PM

big country - I like your idea of a surprise, bet they dont stand at 40yds laughing at you for long after thanksgiving. 300mags are only overkill if they bother YOU. If you can shoot it and enjoy it , do it. Most 300's tend to give the best mix of speed/down range energy w/ 180gr bullets. One advantage to this is that you wont have to change anything if you go after mulies, elk, moose ect.. I also like barnes X bullets, but if you dont reload, the factory offerings may be to finicky.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Well I see what you are saying there BC. But where I live it is against the law to hunt deer with a 22 LR. So I guess my little 270 will have to do.

I bow hunt myself but would not try to compare the two. I bought me one of those new Mathews LX about a year ago, I shoot Nitro Carbon arrows, Whisker Bisket rest, 70 pound draw and 80 gr. Rocky Mountain B.H's.
I like it pretty good. It dont compare to my old Ben Pearson bow though.
Even at that I think it's a keeper at 265 feet per sec. . Puts a nice 3/4 to 1'' cut through deer. They bleed right out.

hunter338