Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Really need help!..300wby, win mag, or 7mm rem mag? >

Really need help!..300wby, win mag, or 7mm rem mag?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Really need help!..300wby, win mag, or 7mm rem mag?

Old 05-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Spike

Default Really need help!..300wby, win mag, or 7mm rem mag?

I know everone is probably tired of these posts, but I really need some help on this one. I'm not sure what to get, I want a .300wby due to the great ballistics but I've never shot one, and am not sure how the recoil is. The biggest rifle I currently own is a wood stocked .30-06, one time my buddy let me shoot his ruger/stainless/synthetic, same caliber, and it seemed to come back allot harder, the reason I'm telling you all this is because as soon as they are available, I wanted to pick-up one of the new Vangards, there are two that I was looking at on their web site, the SUB-MOA stainless, or the sporter SS I want to know how the recoil compares,wood vs. synthetic and how a .300wby compares to just a .30-06, or if the .300wby is just not worth it and, and I should get one of the other calibers listed in the "subject"..thanks again...
Old 05-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Really need help!..300wby, win mag, or 7mm rem mag?

I would either go with the 300win mag for a much better selection of rifles and factory ammo and milder recoil than the 300wby or step up to the 300ultramag for even better ballistics than the 300wby mag without the extremely high price of 30-378 brass.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I owned both the 300 Weatherby and the 300 Win Mag. Although you can squeez a little more velocity from the Weatherby's version, the extra cost of brass and extra powder is probably not worth the cost. Either 300 Mag fills the same purpose in the field. The 30-06 isn't far behind and will take they same kind of game. The Magnums will give you a little edge out there at extreme ranges but out to 250 yards, any of the three will do the job on North American game. Depends on how far you wish to shoot and how much you liked to get kicked. I could not see a big difference in recoil between the Weatherby and Winchester versions. However my Weatherby rifle was considerably heavier than my 700 Rem 300 win Mag. They both had more recoil than I enjoy in my older age.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with the .300 Wby mag.. I have one and really like it. I use factory loads as I don't hand load. The .300 Wby is closer to the .300 RUM than the .300 Win in ballistics. The .300 RUM will also have more recoil over the .300 Wby. mag just like the 300 Wby. has more than the .300 Win mag. The .300 RUM has less offerings in both loads and rifles than the other two.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:45 PM

GorV,
If I had to choose between the three calibers you mentioned, I would go with the 300 Win. mag. The Weatherby is a fine round but is expensive if you don't handload and ammo is not as available as the 300 win mag. I own all three calibers and like them all but, anyone who says there's no difference in felt recoil between a 300 Weatherby and a 300 Win mag hasn't shot it much. The Weatherby seperates the mild recoiling rifles from the big thumpers. Mine is a wooden stocked version and it will get your attention. the 300 win is a fine cartridge, ammo is readily available, and the recoil is certainly not harsh. Good luck!
Old 05-20-2005, 09:01 PM

Why a .30 caliber magnum? You already have a 30-06. The magnums aren't going to do much more, just more velocity with the same bullets for a little flatter trajectory at longer ranges. And, they kick like a mule.
If you want to get belted then make it worthwile, and step up to a 338Win.Mag.
Actually, having fired 'em all I think the 338Win.Mag. kicks a little less than the .30cal. mags, but that was probably more to do the rifle/stock weight & design.
If you insist on a .30cal. mag., then I'd go with the 300Win.Mag. as ammo would be more readily available, and less expensive. The little bit more you get with the
300 Wthby.Mag. just ain't worth it.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know the recoil of the 300 rum is almost brutal and the wea. is just a lil bit better
RR
I own two 300ultramags and have owned a 300wby mag.Recoil felt similar with all three but the weatherby had the factory stock while the ultramags wore mcmillans which seem to handle recoil better.Recoil is substancial with all three but well short or brutal to me.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:49 AM

I thought the same thing about recoil with the .300mags myself. I went on a black bear hunt to Alaska and didn’t have a gun to shoot one with my by father had a .300 weatherby mag and the first time at the range it took me about 5 mins before I could pull the trigger. The biggest thing I ever shot before that was my 12 gauge with slugs. There is recoil but it isn’t that bad. I shot 30 rounds that day and I shoulder was sore and slightly bruised but it wasn’t that bad. I just got back from my black bear hunt yesterday and I shot my bear at 100 yards using 180 grain partitions and it knocked him right off his feet and I never even noticed when I shot him. He squared out at 7'-4" and and had a skull a little under 20 and 1/2 inches.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:18 PM

I've got all of them - the 300 wby is really versatile. The only problem with the 300 win is the difficulty in reloading - certain bullets don't work.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:20 PM
bigcountry

If your used to shooting a 30-06, then a 300win mag would be the next logical step. I had a few RUM's and once you learn to shoot big mags, they are not bad at all. I know years and years ago when I started shooting win mags, I came home with a bruised shoulder, cut index finger (floorplate release smacking my finger when fired), and bloody nuckle (bolt hitting my hand). Bottom line, I didn't know how to shoot it. Well thousands of rounds later, no problem. I learned the hard way, by trial and error and frustation, but practice your breathing, practice and muscle memory will come from that, and roll with the recoil. Hold the gun tight but not too tight against your shoulder, practice holdign the stock so your index finger is like an independent part of you shooting technique. Alto of people squeeze their whole hand, but thats bad.

Quick Reply: Really need help!..300wby, win mag, or 7mm rem mag?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.