Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 shot gun for small lady >

shot gun for small lady

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

shot gun for small lady

Old 04-22-2004, 09:10 AM

Default RE: shot gun for small lady

Hi Pilgrim South,

As was earlier mentioned a youth model Remington 870 Express chambered for 20 gauge (Wal Mart has them inexpensively) or a youth model Mossberg 20 gauge pump would probably be the least expensive way to start. (If you think you may be serious about sticking with clays, start with some type of repeater, not a single-shot.) But recoil will be a little more stout than with a semi-auto.

For a little more money a 20 gauge semi will help with recoil reduction. I have no experience with the Charles Daly line as sold by Wal Mart, but you might be able to get a youth model Charles Daly 20 gauge auto for close to the price range you're looking at. A Remington youth model 1100 semi-auto in 20 gauge will certainly cost more...but would last you for a lifetime of shooting!

A decent double will cost more yet!

Good luck with your search.

Dave
Old 04-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't think you'd need more than a 20 Ga. for use on small ladies................Oh wait, nevermind.

Just kidding! Good luck with whatever you get.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

A couple years ago I was at a gun auction and saw a browning Auto 5 in 20 ga. Someone had trimmed the stock a bit and put on a thick recoil pad. I picked it up fairly cheap and had the steel reblued and I did the stock. It is a very sweet gun that my daughter and son use for birds.

Robin
Old 05-14-2004, 05:06 PM

how about a h&r 10 gague with a 36 inch barrell?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:07 PM

what kind of clays will you be shooting? competition? if just for fun and for hunting, try out a winchest 1300 youth ranger in 20 gauge. i think you will find the stock and forarm are perfect for your size. the stroke to cycle a shell is pretty short to so you will most likely find it comfortable. if competion and hunting, go with a semiauto. beretta makes a nice semiauto in youth. but for the money the winchester can't be beat for fit on a small shooter.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:36 PM

As has been said. Buy a youth Mossberg 20. For beginers and everyone else, the safety and slide release are by far the safest and is very easy to operate. If you are going to be shooting forever. Save up and get a semi auto in a youth style, less recoil.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Out of the two: Mossberg and Winchester, my vote would be for the Winchester. Mossbergs just seem to rattle apart too easily. The Winchester's bolt locks into the barrel so they can use an aluminum reciever making the gun a little lighter and probably easier to point and swing.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:37 PM

Hi Pilgrim, welcome to the site. As has been mentioned on here other places, a Remington 870 Express pump action youth model would probably fit well, cost about $220-$250, and can be found at a lot of stores. Just shop around till you find the best price.
However, for a few more dollars I would recommend you shop around at gun stores and gun shows and look for a used Remington 1100. They will sell for $300-$450 depending on condition. For many years this was THE gun to shoot at skeet/trap when you were talking about autoloaders. They are very reliable, kick lightly, and if they do break almost any gunsmith can fix them up very quickly. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:55 AM

a real light gun is the franchi....i think they might not be the cheapest thing out there though....but they are affordable used.

second recomendation is 870 express 20ga youth. real reliable gun, doesnt kik too much, and cheap.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Pilgrim South

Hi all. I am a very small lady about 5' tall and 100 lbs dripping wet. I want to learn how to clay target shoot with my teenage son and some day shoot some geese (wishful thinking?). I have never had a shot gun before and we have looked at pawn shops (for lower prices) and gun stores. Everything I pick up is too leavy or they tell me will kick me over. The only suggestion has been a gas powered Baretta which we can't begin to afford. We want to spend 2-300$ or less. Any suggestions? thank P. South
Based upon your budget; experience, and what you wish to do I would recommend a MossbergĀ® Mdl 500 Bantam. It has a shorter stock; and, the forearm is positioned closer to the receiver. They are available in both 12 & 20GA. The only thing you need the 12GA for is to shoot geese; and then only because of the steel shot requirement.

http://www.mossberg.com/bantam_diagram.htm

I'm 6'2" & 210lbs and I use a 20GA. My wife is about your size & build and she uses the 20GA. The 12GA kicks way too much for her.

You can also buy a Ladies/Youth Model from NEF in a 12, 20, 28, or 410GA for about $100. Great little gun but it's a single shot.

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=3&subcat=1