Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 T/C  Encore - Jack of all trades? >

T/C Encore - Jack of all trades?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

T/C Encore - Jack of all trades?

Old 03-31-2004, 02:08 AM

Default T/C Encore - Jack of all trades?

I am contemplating the purchase of Tikka T3 very soon and I just want to make sure I'm not passing up on a better option(Tikka T3 vs. T/C Encore). Prices are close. Quality seems great for both. Tikka has guarunteed accuracy. Encore makes it possible to hunt everything from squirrels to grizzlies by simply changing barrels and forends. So the question I have is -How accurate is the Encore? Lets say 24" barrel chambered in .243.
Also, how is the trigger pull on the Encore and is it adjustable.
I know there are some T/C lovers out there who are full of this info. Please share your knowledge!!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: T/C Encore - Jack of all trades?

Ok Joe, here's my OPINIONS,
I absolutely love the Encore for the reasons you mentioned. I have a couple of barrels and want several more.
I find the grip ergonomic and that the rifle holds, points and shoots extremely well. All T/C barrels come with guarenteed accuracy built in. The trigger is adjustable for overtravel and can be "honed" by a competent gunsmith at an affordable price. Ed Arthur Brown is a good source for Encore "extras".
Now ther are a lot of bolt action fans on this board that will extoll the attributes of Tikkas and other well made rifles. That said, I like having one trigger to deal with instead of many, it's the same no matter which caliber/guage I am shooting. It's a comfot level thing with me. I am also comfortable with the one shot and make it count thing. I think this promotes taking higher % shots, knowing you could be "one and done".
These rifles are great for some shooters and not for others. But their accuracy and versitility should not really be called into question. They are both.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The option of having different barrels for the T/C Encore is great and being able to hunt all types of game is a bonus as you mentioned, however I do have a small problem with this gun. If your name has any indication of where you live this will probably not be a problem for you.

On my T/C Encore I have mounted a Leupold scope with a 50mm obj. lens with high mounts and found that the space between the hammer and the eye piece is very narrow. I had to purchase a hammer spur to extend the hammer to the side but it’s still not perfect. Mounting a scope with a smaller obj. lens will narrow the space for pulling the hammer back. Your wondering so what’s the big deal. Well, when hunting in November in these parts you don’t go out with thin glove for an all day hunt. You have to dress for the day. This is the only problem I found and other then that the gun is nice and short and handles well. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I guess you can figure what I'd choose. mlauber has pretty much covered what I would have said and I agree with him totally!! The Tikka is a fine rifle, but there in no bolt in the world that has the versatility of the Encore. As for multiple shots, see my "signature".
Old 04-01-2004, 05:17 AM

Don't have one yet but an Encore has moved to the top of the list. I like to shoot diffrent calibers and the Encore will make the list of calibers I can try that much greater over my Contenders.

Extra bbls are cheaper than complete guns and much less hassle to aquire. Don't like factory bbls? there are a number of custom makers out there who can make anything you want. Want a rimfire? Virgin Valley offers a rimfire conversion kit and Mike S. over at On Target Technologies makes an offset (WZL) bbl that shoots rimfires, no conversion nessasary.

Trigger adjustment kits and easy installation instructions are available thru Mike Bellm.

I can't recall ever hearing anyone complain about accuracy but if you have a bbl that don't shoot? Send it back. There gaurenteed.

Tired of shooting a rifle? Switch the stocks and shoot a handgun then. Or, visa versa.

Going to pack into the high country to hunt? Like to take a shotgun along with your rifle for the occasional grouse or quail to toss in the pot?
It's a lot easier and lighter to tuck an extra bbl in your bag than tie a whole gun on your pack.

The only reason I can think of right now not to buy an Encore is if your uncomfortable with only one shot but then again you might be surprised at how fast one can reload one of these versatile guns.

Thats my nickles worth
Wes
Old 04-01-2004, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

If you decide to go with the Encore, send your frame and 40 bucks to E. Arthur Brown Co and have them do an "action job" on it. That is by far the best 40 bucks that I've ever spent.[8D]
Old 04-02-2004, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

T/C fan!,
What was the turn around time on your "action job"? I am considering the same thing for my Encore. Of course I am also considering having my reciever "french greyed" while it's there, which of course would add more time. I just like the idea of my investment totally weather resistant.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

mlaubner, its been a couple of years, but I think it was around 3 weeks. I may be wrong, but I'd say that the turn around time depends on what time of year it is. When people are getting ready for deer season, they may be a little slower getting it back to ya, but I've been wrong before.lol Another thing to remember, when they ship it back to you, it must go through a FFL holder.[:'(] You may give them a call and see if they can give you an estimate of how much time it will take. Like I said, its worth every penny, everything about it is much smoother!! BTW, I noticed that you have the 20ga smooth-barrel. What do ya think of it? I've been considering it, but didn't want to drop the cash until I heard from someone that has it. Thanx in advance.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey T/C fan, what do they do with the action job????
Old 04-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Typical Buck

Carpmaster, when I got mine back, I could tell a huge difference in every way the action operates. They basically polish and hone everything about the action, making it much easier to break down and the trigger was 1 1/2lbs lighter and it broke more crisp and clean. With my 308 pistol barrel at 100yds, I gained 3/4 of an inch in my groups!! So, like I said, it was definatley worth it.