Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.357 magnum

Old 03-24-2004, 11:32 AM

Default .357 magnum

The wife is wanting a .357 magnum for home protection but she may also bring it with her if we plan a hunt somewhere where she may need to pack something for protection like in Alaska.

What do you guys recommend....automatic or revolver....and what name brands....also barrel length....

Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 01:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .357 magnum

I'd go with a 4-inch barrel and any of these will be just fine for her needs. Ruger's GP100, Service-Six or Security-Six, Colt's King Cobra, Python and S&W's models 66 or 686 and 686 Plus. The "plus" has a seven round cylinder. There are more choices like Taurus and some others, but the above would be my personal choices. I'd take her to a gunshop and see what fits her hands the best and go from there.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:48 AM

Hi Stone Cold,

If you want a .357 Magnum you have few choices except for a revolver. And in truth the .357 Magnum revolver is a very good choice for a home defense handgun, (and is very versatile for field use as well).

The choices T/C fan! suggested would be very hard to beat!

Good luck.

Dave
Old 03-25-2004, 07:02 AM

Hey guys,

I looked at the Taurus the other day. What kind of quality difference is this gun compared to the ones mentioned above?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:15 AM

I've owned a fair number of Taurus revolvers. They were good guns, but I'd put them a step below the S&W and Ruger guns.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I love the .357 Mag, and I'm a big fan of the Ruger GP-100. It's a bit on the heavy side, but that how I like it. It's built like a tank, the recoil of 158 gr. loads is very manageable, and my groups are better than those of any of my autos.

By the way, I would recommend a 6" barrel. The 4" is great for concealed carry and home use, but I'd want the extra velocity and accuracy of a longer barrel out in the wilderness.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

By the way, I would recommend a 6" barrel. The 4" is great for concealed carry and home use, but I'd want the extra velocity and accuracy of a longer barrel out in the wilderness.
I agree with Aught Six. For hunting I prefer the longer barrels.I would go with the minimum of a 41mag for hunting.Preferably the 44 mag or 454 Casull. Then again it might be to much for your wife to handle.The 357 for self defense and home protection is hard to beat.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-02-2004, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

357. is a great calibur for home protection etc. Can it do it all? nahh as a big brown bear defense round id rather have another, but it would be better then most sharp sticks. Like Ak said very few semi autos chambered for it( old automag& those Lar grizzlys?) But a lot of nice revolvers out there as mentioned.[8D]
( do yall ever have concern for overpenatration in home defense situations?) Like nabors close by & kids rooms in the house?.......yrs ago we bought glasser safety slugs for our bedroom gun just for that reason. Course the media said only the fbi& air marshells used such ammo Lol!
Old 04-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

I'd go with the GP-100 made by ruger in the 357mag for your wife. She'll have enough protection for man and most beasts. As far as alaskan brown bear protection buy her a 20'' shotgun with slugs she can sling on her back. Not very many people have survived the brown bear attack with a handgun. That's with anysize of handgun. There's only one article ever published I know of where a man survived a brown bear attack with a pistol. Kinda scary huh.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Spike

I had a S/W .357 w/ 6" barrel and Packmayr grips. Love'd It!! Wish I never sold it

I'd go with a Revolver, less chance of jamming when fired. Plus you don't have to think if you put a bullet in the chamber. - jmho

I also had a 4516 semi auto. It was a 7 shot 45 cal. Excellant handgun for home protection. You could put a bullet in the chamber, take the clip out, and the trigger would get disengaged. Making the gun useless without the clip.

Loved that one too, but sold it
- skunkie

Quick Reply: .357 magnum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.