Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None. >

30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.

Guys I just have tovent on the 30-06. I am getting tired of the "blanketanswers" to posts.
Example post: I am Joe Blow for Florida. I am headed to Colorado for my first elk hunt. I hunt deer in my home state with a 30-06. Should I buy a elk rifle?
Example Answers: The 30-06 is all you need, you are good to go.
The 30-06 will do it all for you.
The 30-06 is the only gun you need.
This blanket answer never mentions bullet constuction,velocity, trajectory or kenetic energy.

I just do not like the 30-06. Many people claim it is the do all cartridge. I like most round based on the 30-06 case, except the 30-06 & 35-whelen. Rounds like the 25-06, 6.5-06, 270, 280& 338-06, have earned there place in my gun safe.
The 35-Whelen is a "pumkin slinger", that is very effective at close range.The next time I hunt elk inside a phone booth, this will be weapon of choice.
IMHO The 30-06 is a slow .30-caliber that is out preformed hands down by several other.30-calibermagnum rounds. I honestly have a 300-win mag that has less felt recoil than my wife's old 30-06. The less felt recoil is done with proper stock fit & overall rifle weight. This rifle does not have a muzzle break.

IMHOWith all the great calibers to choose from, the 30-06 is never the best or the only rifle you need. The 30-06 is somewhere at the bottom of my list.
I would rather see someone buy a rifle that is considered too big for deer if elk is on the menu. the 300-win mag is a great place to start with the magnums.
If the hunter can afford two rifles? Buy onefor deer & one just for elk. I suggest the 270-winchester for deer & 338-win mag for elk.

I am sure I will get bashed for my views, thatsok I have big shoulders.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.

Compare Federal 300Wby and 30-06 with 180gr. NPs. There is a differance of 310fps,752ftlbs @ the muzzle and 8-9" differance in drop @ 500yards. I agree there is no end all do all cartridge. I want them all, aspecially the 338-06. But don't knock my baby. Look at those figures man, its not a magnum but it comes close.She doesn't make my shoulders touch when i shoot her. I think she kicks less than my .270 did. AND!!! ha,ha... I do not have to pay 40 or 50 dollars a box for ammo. So what if you can't kill Elk at a thousand yards. Use your skills and get closer. Besides i don't think there is enough performance gain in the new mags for me to spend a grand on a new rifle.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 06 might not be "your" favorite, BUT I'll bet a dollar that the 06 has killed more N.A. game, including elk, than any other caliber. I've killed most of my elk with a .270, and they ended up just as dead as the elk I shot with my .300 win. mag.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are right, the 30-06 is a good round. I just do not like it. I think there are better choices out there.
I read on the Remington web page. Remington chambers more rifle models & sells more rifles chambered in 30-06 than any other rifle.
That speaks volumes.

But I still do not like the 30-06.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:52 PM

Maybe it would have been better to suggest that others could offer a wider selection of suggestions for calibers outside of just .30-06, as you almost seemed angry, or at least irritated by it.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is a great country. One of the great things about it is that if you don't like the 30-06, you sure as 'H' don't need to own one.

The 30-06 is boring. There is no whiz bang magnum name tacked on it and it just goes out year after year for longer than any of us have been around and does what it was made to do. Kill Things. Is there better choices? Probably. You name a cartridge and I will name a better choice for something. For the one gun hunter, taking everything into consideration, the 30-06 will do the job about as well as any one rifle can. Heaven forbid that we be limited to one rifle. If I have several rifles, the 30-06 would need not be amoung them. However for just one, it would have to be the 30-06. No one gun can do it better.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

To each their own. I do like it. Don't know that it is the best caliber for anything as there are several calibers that are good for most animals. It is a good general round for us mere mortals who may not have a gun safe full of selections. I've killed 10 elk. One with a .308, one with a 30-30, and the rest with the 06 (Winchester xp2, 165 grains--there may be better bullets but this one is the most accurate out of my barrel and has had devestaing effects on any elk, deer, or antelope I've shot from ranges of 60 yrds to 250 yards). I've seen plenty of elk killed with 300 mags, .270s, and a couple with .243s and 25-06. I expect that shot placement, an appropriate bullet,andreasonable ranges for the performance of the cartridge and the abilities of the shooter really are more important than the caliber (in most cases).
Old 09-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

you hit the nail on the head shot placement is the key to all guns i do like the 06 but it would depend on the game you shoot. i know that someone will want a cannon next just so they can hit something anywhere and blow it apart. i think that a lot of people likethe big guns just so they can act like they dont have to practice at the range. just my 2 cents
Old 09-20-2006, 12:20 AM

NC hit the nail on the head. Practice, Practice, Practice!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:45 AM

I like your thinkin on the over kill instead of under kill, I think of it like this, I would rather loose a little meat and kill that animal as fast as posible than shot it with somthing to small and track it for 200 yds, and yes it is mostly about shot placment but lets face we ain't perfect and if you don't hit where your aimmin the bigger the caliber the better. No matter what I'm hunting I shot it till its dead, weather that means 1 or 10(I'm not that bad of a shot,lol) ,I'm only saying this because I 'ev seen to many hunting shows that they shot it once and watch it limp around out there when they could have shot again and ended it.

Quick Reply: 30-06 Jack of all trades, Master of None.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.