Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Winchester Model 70

Old 03-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Winchester Model 70

I won a Winchester Model 70- Featherlight in 7mmWSM last week. I don't know much about the reliability ,accuracy or anything about it. Any feedback from the Forum would be much appreciated.
Also any brand of ammunition suggestions would also be appreciated.

I will be topping it off with a KAHLES 3-9 scope.

Thanks,
MATHEWSCONQUEST2
Old 03-29-2004, 04:14 PM

Default RE: Winchester Model 70

I own several Winchester Model 70's and have never regretted having any of them. They are a fine rifle and perform well for me in all sorts of conditions. Check this write-up on the Model 70 for a background and additional information: http://www.chuckhawks.com/win70.htm
ThreeThumbs
Old 03-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Supershadow in 7 WSM that I converted to a Featherweight by buying the featherweight stock off Ebay and bottom metal from WW. Very nice gun and in my opinion one of the best pointing rifles ever designed...I have a mountain rifle in 7-08 which is real close in handling qualities but that Featherweight is special. You cannot go wrong with WW factory ammo...I have been using WW 150 grain powerpoints for hunting/barrel breakin ..gun familirization. Get a good Gunsmith to stone and adjust that trigger ..that is what was done to mine and it has the best trigger of any rifle I have ever owned.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Threethumbs- that was a great article.
Oldelkhunter- I apologize for my gun tech ignorance, but what does it mean to stone the trigger? When you talk about adjusting the trigger are you talking about lightening the trigger pull?

Also, I pulled up Winchester ammo on there website and they suggest two loads:
The 7mm WSM 160GR Supreme Fail Safe and the 7mm WSM Supreme Accubond CT .
What do you think of these?

My brother gave me all of his reloading equiptment (primarily for my 7m-08) but I haven't started yet. I think I will stick to factory loads this year.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

The part of trigger that contacts the sear is stoned for smoothness and the trigger weight is adjusted with the 2 lock/jam nuts that are below the spring. That trigger cannot reach full potential without it being stoned. Mine is a work of art after the Gunsmith was done with it. I had the pull weight set to 3 1/2 lbs and it feels lighter then that. From the factory it was at 6lbs measured with an RCBS gauge.

Both bullets you mentioned are pretty darn good ELk bullets, in fact I didn'[t know that the accubond was being loaded by WW . I used 150 grain powerpoints in live animal testing and killed 4 deer with that setup. 2 does and 2 bucks.Group size was 1" or less with that combo . It is a deer hand grenade pure and simple 3 of the deer were poleaxed immediately and one ran 200 yards with lungs blown out the offside of his body. Smallest buck was 150 lb 6pt Cull buck and the other was 180 lb 8pointer . If I go hunting again I will load it up with a 140/150 grain partition. I have been looking at the FEderal site and they have some new loads for it as well which are interesting.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Winchester model 70 is one of the best rifles out there. I shoot a Winchester model 70 7mm.