Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester model 100 (308) >

Winchester model 100 (308)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester model 100 (308)

Old 02-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Winchester model 100 (308)

I have a chance to buy this gun for about $250. It has never been shot and looks like brand new. Is this a good gun? good price? anything i should be concerned with on this model?
Old 02-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Winchester model 100 (308)

I was given a Model 100 in 308 by my mother. You need to make sure the individual returned the rifle to Winchester for the factory recall work. The rifle I have would often fire twice when the trigger was pulled once. The firing pin is what I believed they changed when it was sent in on the factory recall. Otherwise, this rifle with the contour of the palm area on the stock is great when shooting offhand. My rifle is fond of IMR4064 and Nosler 150 gr. BT's. It will consistently shoot 1" groups with my handloads. As for factory ammo 150 gr. Winchester Super X will hold to 1.25" for a three shot group consistently. I do like this rifle and use it when we do deer drives in the fall. If I'm on stand I usually use my 257 Roberts or my 25-06.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:03 AM

I have had experience with about 5 or 6 of these rifles, all in .308 Winchester. They were all prone to ejection problems. But, if you kept them extremely clean, they would function properly. None of the ones that I've seen would shoot better than about 2 and a half inches at 100 yards. (all factory ammo)
Old 02-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

SEMI, If you don't buy it for $250, please, please, please let me know, I'll buy it! I have four M-100's two in .308 and two .284. The two .308's shoot pretty good, with 4 shots about 1.5" or so @ 100, but the two .284's will put 4 shot sunder an inch @ 100. I hand one for all of them, but the two .308's seem to like the same load. If it is in new unfired condition that M-100, eventhough in it's most common chambering .308, is worth about 3x that asking price. They are good shooting guns, strong, and well built. I've never had any problems out of mine. Just make sure you keep the chamber clean and lightly oiled and you should not have any problems.

Some other .308 M-100's I have had and seen have not shot a good as the ones I have now. I guess it is due to the screw lug forwared on the barrel being welded on, and causing stress in the barrel. I had one in .308 that was a real shooter, but I let a former buddy talk me out of that one for a decent price. It was an honest 1/2 incher @ 100. But he got rid of it because he stated it cost him a nice buck, because he rode the bolt home, instead of raack it back and letting it slam home, and it felled to lock up completely, and clicked on him. His fault, no the gun. Anyway we had an agreement, that if he ever wanted to get rid of it, he would give me first opportunity. He told me sold it about a year after he got rid of it. We are not buddies anymore.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the others....................that is a good price if the gun wasn't in great shape. But if it is as you describe, it's a STEAL at $250!!!!!

One problem is parts though........................they are getting HARD to find, impossible to find for some items (like the Op Slide). But if it's never been shot, you shouldn't be needing parts for a LONG time.

The Firing pin was a recalled item - but if this one is a later-made model, hopefully you won't have a problem with that. Mainehunt is correct on keeping it clean.............especially the gas system - when it gets clogged up, accuracy goes out the window and feeding becomes a real problem.

Go For It!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2004, 06:27 PM

I Have one in 308 and it has problems with ejection once in a while, you just have to keep it really clean. But still for $250 you should definitly buy that, I bought mine used for $400 and I seen them at gun shows for $700-$800.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

My grandfather gave me his m100 308. I took it to a local gunsmith and they replaced the firing pin for free. You should do that first. I love to shoot so I shot it quite a bit. After a couple of boxes, it started to jam every shot. The problem is in the extractor not the ejector. When it gets dirty it will not pull the shell out of the barrel. I talked to several smiths and even posted it on here but everyone told me I could not get any parts for it. So, with nothing to loose, I ripped it apart. You would not believe the crud under the extractor. I cleaned it and oiled it well. For now it is working fine, however I do strip it down and clean it often. Lastly, make sure the clip is with it because I cant find one anywhere for sale.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

BB270, try Brownell's for extra magazines. They are not Winchester made, they are after market made by Twine Pine Inc. I don't know personally of their quality, as I have not used them, but Brownell has them. http://www.brownells.com The part number is 895-100-100 and cost is about $48. Original Winchester magazines are listed at Bob's Gun Parts and Gun Parts Corp., but they are a bit pricier at about $50. http://www.gun-parts.com or http://www.e-gunparts.com

Like everyone else said keep the extractor clean and the chamber lightly oiled, and you shouldn't have any problems with it. I run a lightly oiled patch in the chamber on mine every so often and never had a failure to extract. I have had a failure to feed a few times, but it appeared to be operators headspace and timing error, not the gun's.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

I've had dozens of them, the best carrying deer rifle .for me, I've ever used. I've had all the usual problems that the posters have mentioned. But accuracy was hit and miss.
Last summer I bought 5 of them, I was going to build the ultimate deer rifle. Did all kinds of stuff to them, replaced gas cylinders, firing pins, rebeded stocks, you name it but I still c ouldn't get one to shoot like I wanted but I could do was 2-3" at a 100. so I sild them, traded them and gave one to a guy. I traded two for a Browning Bar, what a shooter it is ! and trouble free. Yet last Sat. I walked into a gunshop and there was a model 100 calling me but it was pricey. So I left with a pang in my heart.

If you don't want it I will gladly buy it or if you did buy it and decide you don't want it I will gave you a fair profit for it. I don't guess I will ever learn. Heck I've even got an extra BAR I would trade you for it, if it is in the condition you say.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:06 PM

semi,,, if you don't want that model #100 please send it my way. it can sit right in the middle of my model #88's

Quick Reply: Winchester model 100 (308)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.