Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Accuracy on a budget !?!? >

Accuracy on a budget !?!?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Accuracy on a budget !?!?

Old 03-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accuracy on a budget !?!?

ORIGINAL: joenhawaii

I have read several articles and numerous posts on this board about Tikkas and my decision has been made....Tikka it is!!! Now I have another problem. I am having second thoughts about scope and caliber. I read some nasty posts about Burris scopes and the 25.06 seems like an excellent caliber for deer and can double as a varmint rifle. Any thoughts?

The Tikka Whitetail Hunter's are really nice rifles. I think you would be real happy with one.I would top it with a Leupold. I liked the original Redfields but they're gone now.Leupold has some decent scopes for around the 200.00 + range.The 25-06 is supposely is a excellent deer cartridge and varmint gun.I've never used a 25-06 so I can't speak from experience.
Good luck on you move back to the mainland.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

25-06 will be an excellent choice for you needs. The other option I'd look at would be a 308 win, which is accurate, can be loaded up and down all day long for game. If your planning on buying factory(over the counter) ammo it might be a better choice, depenedant on the area and availablity of ammo for the 2506.

I have had no issues with my Burris or Bushnell Elites. Best advice is try to look through as many as possible in natural light.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:22 AM

The Tikka is a great rifle.Leupold VX I or II scopes are really wonderful optics for the money. If you shop around you can find them pretty reasonably. Another cartridge to consider would be the 260 Remington. That cartridge can be handloaded with an 85gr. varmint bullet at 33-3400 fps and 120 or 140 grainers for deer. Just MHO.