Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7.62x54R question >

7.62x54R question

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7.62x54R question

Old 11-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default 7.62x54R question

Dose any gun maker chamber a rifle for the 7.62x54R?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:43 AM

Default RE: 7.62x54R question

I think that Winchester made a lever action in this caliber a long time ago for the Russian army.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BOYWONDER

Dose any gun maker chamber a rifle for the 7.62x54R?
I do not know if rifles are still being chambered for it in Finland. If the Russians are still making the Dragunov sniper rifle, then the answer is yes. But probably not a whole lot of them.

Those are the only two possibilities I can think of. I can see no reason why anyone outside of Russia would chamber this cartridge today. And Russia has so many metric tons of Mosins that they'd never have to make another one of the dad-burned things.....
Old 11-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Romanians still make a knockoff of the Dragunov called the PSL or ROMAK. Like most knockoffs, they are no where near as good as the original.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

i know that this isn't what you're asking for but , you should be able to find a few old military rifles out there in this cartridge.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whelen36

i know that this isn't what you're asking for but , you should be able to find a few old military rifles out there in this cartridge.
The Mosin Nagant bolt action Russian service rifle is easily available in all its' various configurtions, and quite cheap. I recently bought a Mosin M91/30 barreled action for $80.00 and a stock for $30.00. Put it together and it shot just like you'd expect from an old used military rifle. It fires, but is none to accurate. Maybe I just haven't found a load it likes yet. I've shot .308", .311", and .314" bullets in it. The .311's shot best. Bore diameter on this rifle is .300", groove is .314"! Bore is in good shape, as is the crown on the muzzle. I will try glass-bedding it into the stock and see if that makes any difference. Basically, there is nothing really wrong with the cartridge, except due to its head size and rim, it takes a "strange" action to feed and chamber it. The Mosin action meets this requirement, apparently designed around the cartridge. I don't think you could use any other round in this action, so it really can't be converted into anything else. The Russians DO have a 9X54Rmm cartridge, sort of a "Russian .35 Whelen", made by necking this round up to fire .354" heavy bullets for brown bear hunting. I don't know if they had to alter the magazine box to accept the bigger bullet. Probably not, but a .45/70 won't work!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

i have a mosin-nagant 91/30, and it doesn't kick much, but i don't want to carry a 5 foot long rifle in to my 3x3 wide x long deer stand. i think the russans still use the round in their sniper rifles.

pat
Old 11-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not that I'm aware of. You'd probably be able to have a custom barrel chambered for it, but that would be a very expensive complicated approach to a problem with a much cheaper and easier solution.

Buy a .30-06.

Just about every rifle manufacturer chambers for it, it'll outperform the 7.62x54R by a significant margin in all bullet weights, high quality ammo is readily available, including the premium ammo. The 7.62x54R is an obsolescent cartridge that enjoys marginal popularity here in the west solely because of the availability of super-cheap surplus Mosin-Nagant rifles, most of dubious quality, and ultra-cheap surplus and steel-cased imported ammo. A fine rifle if you want to shoot a CF on the cheap and burst milk jugs at 50 yards. If you want a serious .30 cal hunting rifle with accuracy you can count on, a recent production sporting rifle in .30-06 is the way to go. 4-5MOA from a surplus Mosin is not good enough IMO. I want a rifle that is accurate enough that if I miss I can know for sure it's not the rifles fault...3 MOA MAX, with 1.5MOA or less average being my preference.

Mike
Old 11-24-2007, 09:58 AM

If you are looking for one just to shoot the cheap surplus ammo get a nagant carbine or rifle, there are some nice ones out there for less than $100. The win1895 was made in it and are available from time to time but are not cheap by any means.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Spike

A M38 or M44 Mosin Nagant is the carbine length versions of the 91/30. The M44 has an attached bayonet so it would have to be removed
for hunting. The guns are heavy so an after market fiberglass stock would be the way to go. You also would think about replacing the battle sights
for something better. A scope mount is available for it.

Quick Reply: 7.62x54R question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.