Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New hunting rifle

Old 12-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Jeep, just because it's a Hogue doesn't make it good. Hogue makes some cheap tupperware junk just like all the others do for these cheap package deal rifles.

As far as the Nikko Sterling glass goes, never used them and the reviews on them are indifferent to say the least. I've looked through a couple myself at the store and wasn't impressed in the least. But I am fairly hard to impress when it comes to glass.
I haven't seen a tupperware Hogue on a Howa, they are the rubber over molded stocks that I've seen and have 2 of.

Between the Savage and Ruger, I would definitely go with the Ruger. I have nothing "against" the Savage but I wouldn't personally spend my money on one.

But either way, overall quality between the Savage and Ruger don't even come close to the Howa, in my experience anyway. Almost like comparing a little pump up Crossman to a nice Benjamin pellet gun.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

And those are in the "better" class of rifles Jeep. What he is looking at is a very cheap production model Howa and very cheap stock made by Hogue. And as far as your opinion of Savage not even coming close to Howa? I've got a few Savages that I'd pit against any Howa you own out to 1000 yards. They are okay rifles and actions but they aint all creamed butter.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
And those are in the "better" class of rifles Jeep. What he is looking at is a very cheap production model Howa and very cheap stock made by Hogue. And as far as your opinion of Savage not even coming close to Howa? I've got a few Savages that I'd pit against any Howa you own out to 1000 yards. They are okay rifles and actions but they aint all creamed butter.
I paid $280 for my last Howa with the Hogue Overmolded, show me your Savage and what you paid for it then we'll talk

I'd like to see a link to the tupperware Hogue stocks, I still haven't been able to find one.

At least with the Howa, it's the same action and barrel on the "cheap" models and the "better" models, same good trigger too that will run circles around the retarded Accu-trigger.

Again, its just my opinion.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Spike

I think the package deal is the only option I can find for the savage. The ruger comes with a package deal of a redfield revolution scope, which I hear is a great deal. If I go with the savage I would get the Nikon scope and later on I could always upgrade the scope. I have heard the Nikon pro staff scopes are a great deal and can be had for around 200 dollars. My budget is 600 and I understand tax and all that but I can spend a bit more but it's not like I can budget for 800 dollars because anything over the 600 would be coming out of tax return money or my paycheck.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by wicat3
I think the package deal is the only option I can find for the savage. The ruger comes with a package deal of a redfield revolution scope, which I hear is a great deal. If I go with the savage I would get the Nikon scope and later on I could always upgrade the scope. I have heard the Nikon pro staff scopes are a great deal and can be had for around 200 dollars. My budget is 600 and I understand tax and all that but I can spend a bit more but it's not like I can budget for 800 dollars because anything over the 600 would be coming out of tax return money or my paycheck.
No problem................... keep all your shots within 100/200 yards.

Until then - practice,practice, practice !!!

Remember ammo cost money also

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-29-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy this one;

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/607479761

Then you'll have $250+ left for a quality scope plus some ammo...

If you aren't "dialing" for long shots then a $150 Vortex scope will work excellent for many years.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

To the OP... remember... You don't have to buy it all at once... is a cheap scope good for hunting.. NO, but thousands of guys use them to kill deer with every year. STAY in your budget. And add to it when you can afford it. Don't kill your budget to have the best thing. Stay in your budget. Also, you're probably done rifle hunting this year, right? So... save a little more, pick up some extra over time or whatever you need to do, and wait a few months to buy the rifle. Saving a few extra months could stretch your budget from $600- $800. Always stay in your budget, it's the wise thing to do.

I like the howa 1500 or the Savage option. One thing to remember about savages is that there is a lot of aftermarket support. I can find used savages fairly often for $250... Usually they have the cheap plastic stock, or a pretty beat up wood stock... If you can pick up a used one, and later you can add the stock you want, etc, you can get a good, useable rifle for pretty cheap and eventually make it "nice"
-Jake
Old 12-28-2016, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
To the OP... remember... You don't have to buy it all at once... is a cheap scope good for hunting.. NO, but thousands of guys use them to kill deer with every year. STAY in your budget. And add to it when you can afford it. Don't kill your budget to have the best thing. Stay in your budget. Also, you're probably done rifle hunting this year, right? So... save a little more, pick up some extra over time or whatever you need to do, and wait a few months to buy the rifle. Saving a few extra months could stretch your budget from $600- $800. Always stay in your budget, it's the wise thing to do.

I like the howa 1500 or the Savage option. One thing to remember about savages is that there is a lot of aftermarket support. I can find used savages fairly often for $250... Usually they have the cheap plastic stock, or a pretty beat up wood stock... If you can pick up a used one, and later you can add the stock you want, etc, you can get a good, useable rifle for pretty cheap and eventually make it "nice"
-Jake
Probably some of the best advise you have received so far!!! I sometimes forget how hard a couple hundred extra bucks is to come by these days for you kids. Heck even for some old farts too! Soon, you will find the used market pretty heavy with some nice rifles for not to much money! After hunting season closes it picks up. $600 can buy you a pretty decent rig in the used market. Or, like Jake said, save up a couple more months after you get your Tax return and add a bill or 2 with it and get you a really nice rifle and a fairly decent scope!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:34 AM
Spike

If I pick a package deal I would upgrade the scope but I found the savage comes with a Nikon pro staff scope which has been recommended as a great scope. If I was to buy a ruger package I would go with the redfield revolution scope package which I've been told is another great scope. If I get the package I have a rifle I can go to shoot and later down the road upgrade as I go. I like that savage has an aftermarket following but if we just look at the packages which is the better deal
Old 12-29-2016, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whichever one fits you the best. Some don't like the accutrigger on the Savage. Others, like me, think it's pretty near one of the best FACTORY triggers on the market. And I'm a trigger snob! I love Ruger handguns, own several. But I have YET to ever run across a Ruger rifle with a good feeling trigger with the exception of the #1's and those are borderline. So really it now boils down to what your preferences are in the feel and function of either one. Value wise they are around equal with the Nod going a little bit towards Savage because of the aftermarket availability to better the rifle on down the line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.