Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New hunting rifle

Old 12-31-2016, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Buy this one;

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/607479761

Then you'll have $250+ left for a quality scope plus some ammo...

If you aren't "dialing" for long shots then a $150 Vortex scope will work excellent for many years.

IMO - You would be hard pressed to do better than this for the money you have to spend !

I assume your budget has to include bases & rings + ammo & targets ??
Old 12-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mentioned this on another thread, but www.grabagun.com out of Texas has some great prices.

I am a big fan of the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. $495 plus $5.99 shipping. Guarenteed sub MOA. I topped mine with a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 an Talley mounts. Under $1,400 for the whole package.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Spike

My budget consists of the rifle and optic. Ammo and all that is not part of the 600. The ammo and mounts can be paid for out of my paycheck. I have looked around the used section and there are some good deals on savage model 10 and 11 with great scope deals for under $450. I'm skeptical of the howa because it's has good and bad reviews and doesn't have much of a name except by few people. Granted those people swear by them. I've had a vanguard bolt action before it was a nice rifle but I didn't have it long enough to recall much about it.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been a little misinterpreted on this. I'm not nor would I knock Howa rifles. They make a pretty dang good rifle for the prices they charge. Their entry level rifles are good. I personally don't like most of the synthetic stocks. They just feel cheap and flimsy to me. That is INCLUDING the stock on the Savage 111 TH. Now The Savage 111 FCNS in 270 or 7mm-08 would be right up your alley but it's out of your price range by about 150 bucks. The FCNS has the new accustock which is supported with aluminium bedding and skeletal system. Very well made stock and stable as a rock while being light and pretty much weather proof. Good rifle to have in horrible weather or the humid hunting down south like Florida and such. The good news is, if you end up getting the 111TH, you can always upgrade to the accustock later on down the line if you so wish. Or MANY other makers make some fine stocks for Savage barreled actions as well as Ruger and Howa.

As far as the Howa barreled action, as I said before, it's a fine action and lots of very good shooting rifles have been built off of them. I'm just not a fan of Japanese made rifles. The masters of Europe and here in the good old USA attract my attention.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:59 AM
Spike

Whatever I buy will in the future get a new stock as it appears all models in this price range fall short on the stock. The ruger predator most likely has the best stock as I believe it's bedded and has aluminum blocking. The howa seems to be a nice rifle but I read about screws coming lose after a few rounds. Nightmare customer service etc. I like savage 11 but also looking at the model 10.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

The deal in the used deer rifle market in my area stays real good till about mid August when people are looking at some thing new for deer hunting or taking out west to hunt.

They figure they pick the rifle up, clean it, get used to it then start practicing. Ready when the seasons to open.

Al
Old 01-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd buy a tikka and put a $50 scope on it until I could spend some more money on a quality scope.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Spike

I've looked into them and seem like a nice rifle but it would mean having to sit in a safe and save for a scope. Buying a 50 dollar scope seems like a waste of money and insulting to put on a center fire rifle. I have been looking at the browning ab3. Anyone ever handled one, thoughts?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let me ask YOU a question .............. which one do you like ?

Why ??
Old 01-05-2017, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Ever been to a gun show sale event?

They sell scopes there also. about every make and model you want.
Luppys VXII for $50.00 I have seen there. If it has a problem send it to them and have them fix it under warranty.
think it is kind of dumb to stick the snoot in the air over a 50.00 dollar scope my self.

Many a hunter used plain old open sights till their eyes got to old to do so too.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.