Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Henry big boy blues or marlin >

Henry big boy blues or marlin

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Henry big boy blues or marlin

Old 12-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I don't know Moose, the originals loaded from the tube...
Originally Posted by moosemike
The originals did load that way. Though I much prefer "Kings Improvement".
A guy can't rightfully say the Big Boy's tube loading is anything like the Henry 1860 loading.

I'll take a loading gate 8 days a week over the Big Boy tube. I'll tolerate that silly business in a Marlin 60, but only because of all of the other virtues of the rifle - I don't condone the tube feed abomination of the Henry Big boy.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Never hunted them...sounds like there is a lot more to it than shooting a little piggy. We don't have them here and the F&W department made game farms illegal so we won't be getting them in the wild that way. I do love bacon though......
Old 12-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Never hunted them...sounds like there is a lot more to it than shooting a little piggy. We don't have them here and the F&W department made game farms illegal so we won't be getting them in the wild that way. I do love bacon though......
Not really CI. Just there is a LOT of underestimation when it comes to the aggressiveness of a wild hog. As tall as I am with my super long legs, my femoral artery is pretty much outta reach for all but the biggest of hogs. They don't tend to jump into an attack. They pretty much bulldoze and try to swipe with their tusks and those buggers are deadly sharp. Even though my height gives me a kinda safety window, when hunting brush, I STILL wear Kevlar Chaps! And Snake gaitors under those! Had one of the guys I hunt with laughing his bloody arse off when I donned those chaps. Danged if he didn't take a tusk swipe from a 270 pound boar that afternoon that opened him up 11 inches up the side of his calf and ALMOST took out the whole muscle group! He wasn't laughing anymore! Calf muscle hanging out, bleeding like a stuck hog (Hogs revenge), screaming like a 3 year old throwing a fit. Had to carry his boohooing rear all the way back to the truck over my shoulder. You can bet he don't laugh at my chaps anymore, especially when putting his OWN on!
Old 12-27-2016, 03:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Not really CI. Just there is a LOT of underestimation when it comes to the aggressiveness of a wild hog. As tall as I am with my super long legs, my femoral artery is pretty much outta reach for all but the biggest of hogs. They don't tend to jump into an attack. They pretty much bulldoze and try to swipe with their tusks and those buggers are deadly sharp. Even though my height gives me a kinda safety window, when hunting brush, I STILL wear Kevlar Chaps! And Snake gaitors under those! Had one of the guys I hunt with laughing his bloody arse off when I donned those chaps. Danged if he didn't take a tusk swipe from a 270 pound boar that afternoon that opened him up 11 inches up the side of his calf and ALMOST took out the whole muscle group! He wasn't laughing anymore! Calf muscle hanging out, bleeding like a stuck hog (Hogs revenge), screaming like a 3 year old throwing a fit. Had to carry his boohooing rear all the way back to the truck over my shoulder. You can bet he don't laugh at my chaps anymore, especially when putting his OWN on!
Suddenly my penchant for bacon has ebbed. Think I'll stick with deer, turkey and elk.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Spike

I owned a lever action Marlin .44 mag years ago. It was a fun little gun to shoot and hunt with. I just used open sights on it and shot a couple of deer with it. I had no trouble with it. I certainly would never categorize it as a "piece of crap" or anything even near that. I think I traded it for a muzzelloader. I don't remember. But I didn't get rid of it because I had any problems with it, I think I just wanted something else and didn't use it much, so it was sacrificed in a trade.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

I bought a Remlin in 45-70 a few years back for hunting bears in the brush. It has some cycling issues that I'm not happy with (a little more fit and finish would have helped a lot). Hopefully Remington has straightened those issues out for newer production. Meanwhile, it fires great and is accurate. I did find the LOP a little short for my preference so I added a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad for the additional LOP length. It fits well for me now and the recoil is a big push. My buddy and I both enjoyed the heck out of shooting it and sighting it in. If you like shooting 30-30's, you won't want to get rid of this gun.

I didn't get a bear with it but had a skunk look down the business end while bear hunting in an orchard and that ole skunk turned around and went the other way on the trail.