Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Henry big boy blues or marlin >

Henry big boy blues or marlin

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Henry big boy blues or marlin

Old 12-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Henry big boy blues or marlin

I'm really wanting a lever 44 mag... so I'm torn between the Marlin(remlin) or the Henry big boy blued... I'm worried the marlin is a piece of crap and that it won't shoot worth a darn... I'm thinking the Henry I a safe bet... what do you guys think
Old 12-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never owned a Henry, I have read good things abut them and they are made in the US. I have a Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70 and I love it. It is a Marlin, made before Remington took over. If you look around you may be able to find a pre-Remington Marlin fo saler lightly used. Mine was lightly used and I bought it for at least $400.00 less than others I saw for sale used and had a Redfield scope one it. You just have to take your time looking. It came with two partial boxes of ammo, the only ones the owner ever bought. He sold it because he creeped up on the scope and it smacked him in the eye.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin. No contest.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought a Henry Golden Boy in 22LR as a fun plinker that I can share with my grandsons. For the money it is a very nice gun and the smooth action and USA workmanship is outstanding. Not sure how their bigger bores are as compared to Marlin which I understand makes a great gun.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

What I don,t like about the Henry,s is that 99.9%of their levers are straight stocks and I prefer pistol grip style.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once picked up a .44 mag henry I think? I'm not even sure, but it was so heavy!

heavier than my .30-30

so if the henry is that heavy then I'd get the marlin for sure, if both are tanks, then I dunno.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin, like all the other companies taken over by Rem. and S&W companies, have straightened out their issues pretty much. Marlin rifles were starting to be pretty sorry even before the takeover because they were producing with ancient tooling and it took a bit for Rem to straighten out the production issues that it bought in to. They are now making pretty good rifles nowadays from all reports I'm seeing. I personally have never bought into the hype of Henry rifles. As salukipv1 stated, they weigh a dang ton and are WAY over priced for what you get.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

They are heavy and for what I bought that weight is excessive but it appears to be well made no plastic and the price wasn't much over 400. It is a pretty nice looking gun that could be on the wall rather than the safe...It is that nice looking. It shoots good too and is fun for the grand kids.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Think about that statement for a sec there CI..."Not much over $400"....and what was it? A lever action .22!!! WAY over priced!! MSRP for a .44mag Henry is $900!! $900 for a lever gun??? Really?? Add $1000 to that if you want "deluxe" in the model name!!! Now I can see charging that for hand made exceptional craftsmanship and accuracy, but for a brass receiver that weighs a ton made on a CNC I just don't see it. Average of $650-700 for a Marlin that will more than likely shoot just as well, maybe even better, wont weigh a ton, and a whole lot less likely to leave it at home because you will be hunting in heavy cover and may get a scratch on it. Mind you this is just my opinion and everyone is free to spend their hard earned dollars how they wish. I just don't see the appeal of the Henry rifle at their price points.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Marlin all the way between the two choices we're talking about here. SH54 pretty much covered why!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.