Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Springfield XP 45acp

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Springfield XP 45acp

I'm thinking of getting a 45ACP pistol. Originally I was thinking of a Kimber, but a friend of mine who is a police officer suggested I strongly look at the Springfield XP 45ACP. Does anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks....Ed
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

What do you plan on using it for? If it is for practice, night stand gun then the Springfield would be worth a look. If you want a CCW gun I would look at the Kimbers. Disclaimer: I have a Kimber for CCW so kind of biased!

That being said I rarely carry the Kimber for CCW anymore. I use a Berretta 32 now it is much smaller, easier to conceal and more likely to actually be carried.

Good luck in your decision both are good guns.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

I picked an XD45 Tactical a month purely based on the recommendation of one of my buddies. So far I haven't been dissapointed. It works flawlessly. Bought mine to carry in the woods, as we have a very high population of wolves here in North Idaho. I'm not the greatest of shots with a handgun, but this baby does have a lot of firepower, and it is alot of fun to shoot.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of a XD 5" Tactical in 9MM (much cheaper to shoot).

If CA. allowed, I would have looked hard at the XDM

If you are thinking about using it as a carry piece, take a look here.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/springfield-armory-xds/

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-20-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

i dont think theyre bad guns, they dont seem to point well for me and for some reason i just dont like the beavertail safety on it but thats just me. I know a lot of people really like them but if i was looking for a carry gun id prob look at the glock 36( i think thats the 45) and if i was looking for a shooting/range gun id look at a 1911 style like the kimber (ive got a rock island 45 which is considered one of the bottom of the barrel 1911's and its one of the most accurate pistols i own).
Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own 2 Springfield Armory XD pistols and can totally recommend them. I'm planning on getting another so that should tell you something about how much I like them.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Personally, i like the smith & wesson m&p over the xd. The m&p fits and feels better in my hands and i seem to point it more naturally too. A 1911 is the only semi i care to buy but the m&p would be my only other handgun choice.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 AM
Typical Buck

Once you get to a certain quality of guns, glock, springfield XD, smith m&p, Sig etc, they are all good. Go to your local gun shop and fondle 2 at a time, give the clerk 1 back and ask for another. After you have given all back but 1, that is the winner. For me, that winner was an XD 40. Fits my hand perfectly, feels "right". My brother-in-law recently did the same thing and left with a M&P. Not all handguns will feel right to you, only you can decide on the one that does.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I use a 45 XDM - came with 3 different grips which are easy to change. I picked one that suited my hand.
This is my carry piece while grouse hunting ~ wlf control if needed.
JW
Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wayspr
Once you get to a certain quality of guns, glock, springfield XD, smith m&p, Sig etc, they are all good. Go to your local gun shop and fondle 2 at a time, give the clerk 1 back and ask for another. After you have given all back but 1, that is the winner. For me, that winner was an XD 40. Fits my hand perfectly, feels "right". My brother-in-law recently did the same thing and left with a M&P. Not all handguns will feel right to you, only you can decide on the one that does.

+1

First thing I do is pick the "features" I want in a firearm.

Next, throw out the ones that are not in my budget - sorry

Lastly, fit is the deciding factor; when it comes to handguns this is critical !