Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

325 wsm

Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Spike

Default 325 wsm

I saw some older posts regarding this round and wanted to add my 2 cents worth. It's an okay round, but is behind the 8mm Rem mag or the 338 Win mag. May I propose something else....the 8mm Mauser Imp. or the 8mm-06 Improved, both Ackley versions. I have both and they are great rounds, less powder, softer recoil. The 8 Mauser Imp with 180 gr. Barnes tsx will leave the barn at 3045 with a stout load of IMR 4895, but I'm working on loads with Alliant pro 2000 and Reloder 17. more to come when testing is complete but looks to be faster with less pressure so far.

8mm-06 Ackley with 180 gr. Barnes TSX and 65 gr. Rel.22 chugs along at 3175 and gives me 1 hole groups. Haven't run the 220's across the chronograph but they seem to hit like the hammer of Thor and never seem to bloodshot meat. Both of these 8's are great rounds, and although strictly a handloaders proposition, are better than the 8mm Mags for the average shooter and both shoot circles around the 338 Federal. just a thought...get your 2 cents worth? Probably not but then hey, just my opinion
Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My main issue with the 325 WSM is the future availablity of factory ammo. This round is not popular at all by anyone's measuring stick down this way. I suspect that it will go the way of the 284 Win., 358 Win., 8 Rem. Mag., 350 Rem. Mag., etc. Ammo is still available but often difficult to find , especially on short notice. I'll bet that the same happens to the SSM's and RUM's down the road.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Mojotex
My main issue with the 325 WSM is the future availablity of factory ammo. This round is not popular at all by anyone's measuring stick down this way. I suspect that it will go the way of the 284 Win., 358 Win., 8 Rem. Mag., 350 Rem. Mag., etc. Ammo is still available but often difficult to find , especially on short notice. I'll bet that the same happens to the SSM's and RUM's down the road.
Every one of the cartridges mentioned int he quote above were excellent game getters that never caught on for one reason or another. The same may be said for the 325 WSM a few years from now. I own a 325 and I think it is an impressive cartridge. For the reloader there should be no problem with ammo. Cases can be easily formed from 300 WSM cases if need be. I plan on holding on to mine for a while.