Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 .358 Fans get yours now >

.358 Fans get yours now

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.358 Fans get yours now

Old 06-26-2003, 11:11 PM

Default .358 Fans get yours now

In case you .358 fans are intereseted Browning has released the new BLR lighweight in .358 win. I put a down payment on mine I can hear the hogs shaking in the woods.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .358 Fans get yours now

Hopefully you' ll get it soon..any estimates on delivery?
Old 06-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

i am planning on getting one of those too but , have to wait until the fall when i start picking up more hours at work , and i know , i just got the .350 mag and that should be enough but , i' m a really big fan of the .358 caliber and use them more than any other cartridges out there

BTW- about how much are they going for from the shop owners buddy , you know what i mean , about what price range did the dealer charge you for her ??
Old 06-30-2003, 07:25 PM

.358 Win is a great little # !!!! In a lever or short bolt other then Wildcats there is not much more punch available. I for one am glad to see it chambered again, too good a round to let die!!! Any of you look into the .358 Norma, or the Alaskan? I have alot of experiance with the Norma but with it' s big brother, none at all. One of my customers wants an Alaskan and I would value your imput as to its performance on game.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:12 PM

Judson,

I have shot a .358 Norma at the range a few times that a guy was sighting in. Man I like that round. But I can' t find any good rifle maker to build one.
I though about Melvin Forbes at New Ultra Light Arms, he will build one, but I decided I want more weight in the gun than 7lbs, after shooting .338 win mags at
8lbs and the Norma is more gun than that.

Which alskan are you talking about the .50 or .45?

Oldelkhunter,

He said a few weeks. Usually he can get rifles in as little as 3 days though..

Whelen36,

This my sound strange but, we are still " negotiating" the final price. I think it will be around $540.00.

You will keep us posted on the .350 REM Mag. Reloading, performance on game etc?

BTW I have the scope and a beutiful pair of Conetrol Deluxe bases and rings sitting on the reloading bench waiting for her.

Old 07-01-2003, 03:32 PM

I can build you a .358 Norma no problem. But custom rifles are not cheep. The cost effective way to go is to find a Ruger in 35 Whelen or a Mauser and rechamber it. Or you could rebarrel any mag. rifle like the 700 Rem.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

neweboarhunter ,
i' ll keep you updated on how she shoots , i just have to wait until the shells arrive at the shop , my dealer said that they should arrive there this weekend but , being that it' s the 4th of july holliday weekend , i' m not holding my breath for it . i' m thinking more like next weekend , following this holliday weekend

i haven' t even started setting up for handloading her bud , i have some ideas about working up some loads useing the powders in those new short magnums but i have to watch the pressures , and i' ve got alot to learn and find out about it yet ( about the new short magnum powders )

as for how she takes game , i' ll have to wait till hunting season for that [&:][&:] and hopefully i' ll get something with her

i know what you mean negotiating the final price , that' s how i got the .350 for so much less than suggested retail

BTW- beings that judson was talking about .358 caliber , i' m taking it for granted that he' s talking about the .358 sta ( shooting times alaskan ) , that was designed by the guys at shooting times magazine , as they also designed the 7mm stw ( shooting times western ) , but only he knows for sure

now a question to you my friend ,
which alaskan are you talking about in reference to the .50 or .45 , at this time i' m not familiar with those , please tell me about them , i' m very interested in finding out more

edited for this :
BTW- have you considered a muzzlebrake for the norma mag , a light weight rifle is a great thing to have when hiking through the woods , up hills , etc... , and a muzzle brake would help dampen the recoil so it should be managable

and what type of scope bud , let' s have some details on that too , make , magnification , objective size , etc....
Old 07-01-2003, 11:17 PM

Whelen36,

The scope I have is a Leupold vari-x III 2.5-8x36mm. I might choose a more compact scope for the Browning BLR Lightweight though. I also have some Quake scope lens covers.

If you have not seen the Conetrol projectionless scope rings, you are missing out on the nicest looking rings to be had, and they are tough too.

The Alaskan rounds I am talking about were in Guns and Ammo a few year back, maybe 2-4. They were chambered in spruced up Marlin lever guns by a fellow up in Alaska, I think Anchorage, the name of the company is Wild West Guns. Now that I think of it the .50 was named the alaskan and the .45 was named I believe wild west. I wish I could find the issue it was in.

I just checked their site www.wildwestguns.com and the price I think has come down[], now that is something new for the gun industry. You lever gun fans may not want to go to this sight or you could hear your wallet groan.

Anyway thanks for straightening me out on what Judson meant. I have never heard of the .358STW. That should be a good round too. But I think I will take the Norma instead.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:59 AM

I was refering to the .358 Shooting Times Alaskan. It is based on the 8mm Mag case but improved. Like I said before, I am glad to see the .358 Winchester make a come back. Did you know you can make your brass from .308 cases?
Old 07-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice to see someone appreciate Conetrol mounts and rings . at thing of beauty

Quick Reply: .358 Fans get yours now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.