Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.308 factory loads

Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Spike

Default .308 factory loads

First question is this is my first .308 that I will be using for hunting deer. What is everyones favorite factory ammo. What type of bullet is it loaded with?

I am looking for mostly 300 yards and in and I like a blood trail if the deer leaves.

Anyone shoot Double Tap ammo? Never heard of it before.

Anyone shooting the new Superformance from Hornad? Anyone try the Nosler ammo yet?

I am full of questions
Old 01-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

There are so many good ones out there now, it will depend on which one your gun shoots the best. Remington, Hornady, Federal are all good places to start. Doubletap has been a good ammo so far. Started out making personal defense ammo and has expanded quickly. Any bullet 150-165 grain will do well on deer. When I shot factory ammo all the time I actually killed the most deer with plain ol' Remington cor-lokts, longest shot with the 308 using that ammo on deer was 290 yds. I reload now, but still use the cor-lokt bullets my 25-06.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

The .308 does its best work with 150-180 grain bullets (though the 180s are excessively heavy for deer)...my favorite bullet for deer is the 150 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertip...highly accurate and has performed very well for me even on shoulder shots.

For performance on larger game, I prefer the old 180 grain Nosler Partition usually from Federal's Premium line (anything heavier than this starts robbing the round of case capacity).

I have not tried the new performance ammo from Hornady nor have I used their Light Magnum ammo.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have been using Black Hills Gold ammo is several of my rifles with lots of success. They make a load in .308 with a 180 grain Nosler Accubond bullet. I agree that a 165 grain would be more than adequate for deer, but the 180 grain is just fine and will definitely give a complete pass through on whitetail deer, even with a through the shoulder shot. The Accubond is a great bullet, it is essentially a beefed up and more advanced Ballistic Tip. It has a thicker jacket starting about half down the bullet and the jacket and core are bonded together to prevent separation. The point helps prevent magazine deformation and acts as a wedge to initiate expansion. It is designed to have over 70% weight retention according to Nosler, which is really what their Nosler Partition bullet is designed to retain also, except the Accubond is pointed and a boattail so it packs a lot more punch downrange. This would be my recommendation for a particular load for you. There are so many to choose from though, but you asked for our opinions and I gave you mine.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

For years I have relied on factory Remington, Core-Lokt 150 gr. It's been around for years and for the money, it's very accurate and dependable.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on what your gun likes, mine happens to like the Core-Locts 150gr. better than the premium stuff!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

My .308 liked 165 gr fusions, deer didn't. They always fell quickly
Old 01-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Before I handloaded for .308, I used the Hornady 180 gr. basic round (in other words, I forget the name, but it was the basic 180 gr. sp). It never failed to give a clean one shot kill on NY deer, but I never shot further than 190 yards with it. Now I prefer a 165 gr. Whitetail deer are not difficult to kill and do not absorb alot of lead. Other than for range micro groups, I have never found a need for premium bullets. Quality of all projectiles today are very high overall.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by okgobbler
My .308 liked 165 gr fusions, deer didn't. They always fell quickly
+1

I mainly reload but got a box of these on sale to try out. They shot sub MOA groups at 100 and we lethal on deer. Their price range is just a little more then the standard green box Remington stuff. Not sure you will gain much with the $40+ ammo offerings out there.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot 150 grain Winchester Supreme Ballastic Silvertips in my Remington 308. Shoots them accurate and the deer always seem to drop or go very little distance with lots of damage done to the boiler room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.