HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .308 factory loads
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 03:27 PM
ajstrider
Fork Horn

I have been using Black Hills Gold ammo is several of my rifles with lots of success. They make a load in .308 with a 180 grain Nosler Accubond bullet. I agree that a 165 grain would be more than adequate for deer, but the 180 grain is just fine and will definitely give a complete pass through on whitetail deer, even with a through the shoulder shot. The Accubond is a great bullet, it is essentially a beefed up and more advanced Ballistic Tip. It has a thicker jacket starting about half down the bullet and the jacket and core are bonded together to prevent separation. The point helps prevent magazine deformation and acts as a wedge to initiate expansion. It is designed to have over 70% weight retention according to Nosler, which is really what their Nosler Partition bullet is designed to retain also, except the Accubond is pointed and a boattail so it packs a lot more punch downrange. This would be my recommendation for a particular load for you. There are so many to choose from though, but you asked for our opinions and I gave you mine.