Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.308 factory loads

Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I now reload but the last factory loads I shot were 150 sp PRVI my rifle liked them but I have mixed feelings about buying bullets made in serbia. They wre 18 dollars
Old 02-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Have always shot the 150gr. Winchester ballistic silvertips out of mine. My rifle likes them, and so do I.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Spike

There is a bunch of votes for the ballistic tips from Winchester. I shot them in my 7mm Rem Mag when I first bought it. Three hunting trips, three deer shot. The first was a doe. Shot her at 20 yards. Went through the lungs and hit the right shoulder and bounced back up and went through the top of the back. Hard to believe I know but it did. Ran off no blood trail but I saw her fall about a 100 yards away. Second deer was a doe...shot her in the neck at 100 yards. She dropped. 10 secs later she jumps up with a hole in her neck and runs off like she wasn't hit. Never found her. Third was a nice buck that I also shot in the lungs that ran off and did not drop any blood and we searched for days. Never found him. This was 10 years ago and I haven't touched them since. Have they redesigned these bullets?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 308 Win. is my deer cartridge of choice. Has been for over 40 years. I have taken deer cleanly for near point blank (30-40 yards) out to about 400. I dropped a very nice Montana mule deer at about 325. I have also killed several feral hogs and a few varmints with my set up. As others have already stated, there are tons of good choices of factory ammo. One or more should group fine out of your set up. I hand load for mine, but have used several factory loads along the way.

My favorite factory load for my 308 Win. (a Styer rifle) is a particular Federal Premium, because it groups great in my rifle and has been consistent lot to lot. This particular ammo uses the 165 gr. Sierra "Game King" bullet. In my hand loads, I use the Nosler "Partition", 165 gr.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Spike

I shot horandy , remington corelocks , fedal fusion, winchester(plain) and now power bonded all 150grain. horandy i could not get to group fusions worked well but hard to find in stock. the corelocks, plain winchester and power bonded all shoot great just what i can get on sale and in stock. my .02
Old 09-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Banned

Ballistic tips is a target practice round and not a hunting round.

I was shocked when Sierra put in bold letters in the reloading manual that several of their best bullets were not designed to be used as hunting rounds.

Sierra Match Kings were one such offering. - Not to be used as a hunting round.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

The Game King is a excellent hunting round.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
I was shocked when Sierra put in bold letters in the reloading manual that several of their best bullets were not designed to be used as hunting rounds.

Sierra Match Kings were one such offering. - Not to be used as a hunting round.
The Match King is just that - a match bullet. It is not designed to penetrate bone, retain mass, provide a good shock wave or not fragment. Its sole objective is to provide the best accuracy.

The Game King is designed first to provide a quick, clean kill for game animals with accuracy being a close second in design.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned

I'd suggest what I am going to do with my new rifle . . . as a part of breaking in the barrel and comparing different store bought ammo in it, I am shooting three different ammo to see if the gun likes one or the other. I will use Winchester X in 150 gr, Federal Premium NP in 180 grf, and Hornady 168gr A-Max. Kind of pricey for "breaking in", but I'm also seeing what my gun likes. It DOES make a difference.
I'm not saying you have to go out and buy three or four boxes of premium ammo, but try at least two in different weights.
Something else that is always in the back of my mind is to match the cal. gun with the ammo manufacturer. A 270, 30-30 and .308 are all rounds developped by Winchester so I might lean towards them for ammo.
On the othert hand, the 7mm, 25-06, and 22-250 were Reminbton creations. See what I mean?
If nothing else, you sure will get some practice in!!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by chemist
First question is this is my first .308 that I will be using for hunting deer. What is everyones favorite factory ammo. What type of bullet is it loaded with?

I am looking for mostly 300 yards and in and I like a blood trail if the deer leaves.

Anyone shoot Double Tap ammo? Never heard of it before.

Anyone shooting the new Superformance from Hornad? Anyone try the Nosler ammo yet?

I am full of questions
My Savage .308 loves Federal Premium Vital-Shok in 165 grain. ...wickedly accurate!

For target rounds, the most incredibly accurate round I have found is from a reloading company called Georgia Arms (they are always at the gun shows). http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx They make some amazing 168gr BTHP target rounds, that rival Federal's best match grade rounds!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.