Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
buying a premium big game rifle? >

buying a premium big game rifle?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

buying a premium big game rifle?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:13 AM

Default buying a premium big game rifle?

i am about to buy a premium big game rifle. I have looked around, and I think that I have found the set up that I can't go wrong with. although it will set me back around $3,700.00 I think this maybe the best rifle in its class. It is a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe chambered in 300 wby mag. The scope is the Leupold VX-7 4.5-18x56mm. I know it is pricey but I think it will be the only big game rifle I will ever need(not want), and a great heirloom.
I was just curious whats your idea of A perfect big game rifle? i would like to hear it, and what do think about mine? I will post pics when I bring her home
Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

It is a beautiful and very functional rifle. The ammo is a bit expensive, and overkill for a lot of game, but then again...dead is dead.

When I was growing up (20 years ago or so), there was a bank in Colorodo that had a sweet deal going...just did not have the $$ to invest. Anyway, you would send them $1000. They would send you a Weatherby rifle (very much as you described). They would in turn put the money in a high yield CD as payment. In 7 years (they kept the interest as payment), they returned your $1000 upfront cost.

Basically, a Weatherby rifle for free. The bank was the largest distrubutor of Weatherby rifles for 10-15 years there, and a number of people I know took advantage of that plan.

Naturally, the anti-gun crowd screamed and moaned about the bank.

That rifle will be a wonderful gun to pass along to your children.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I would never consider it a family heirloom per se. If the money was right I'd own an HS Precision ultra light in .300 WSM, fluted barrel, less scope would run about $2600-2700 to my door. Leupold Mark 4 on top.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking premium BG rifle...

Yours is certainly a good choice. Weatherby's are fine rifles. However, there are many others I would want if it were my choice such as: Ed Brown, Empire, Dakota and the Nosler offerings. The VX7 Leupy is a dandy scope, but why so big (56mm wow) and 18X at the top seems high to me? Weight may be a factor to consider depending on what, where and when you hunt. Food for thought.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

personally unless it was a big game african rifle, I'm no longer much of a fan of wood stocked rifles, or shiny barrels, glossy stocks, I'm sure at 300yds an elk won't notice it, but just a preference I suppose.

Certainly a solid setup though, 300wby in a quality rifle, with a quality scope.
those 56mm scopes are huge, certainly bright though.

Have you bought it yet? is this a new rifle? used? you know you can customize many weatherby rifles, such as stock colors/finishes, same with barrel finishes, all from the factory, something to consider.

Also for that price you could build a decent custom I believe, something also to consider.

Any quality rifle, in a quality cartridge that'll be around down the road, with a quality scope certainly would be a great heirloom though.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pre-Berretta Sakos are nice. I have one in 300 WBY w/ a 4.5-14X Leupold Vari X III on it. I would sell every other firearm I own to keep this one.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

I think the Deluxe is the best looking factory rifle out there. Its aesthetics fit the bill very well. I would not spend that much on a rifle but if I had my choice the deluxe would be at the top of the list. I also like the Kimber rifles you could get one of those in 300 WM or 338 WM for around $2,000.00 in the Super America model.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

For $3700 I'd go the full custom route. The Weatherbys are nice, and very pretty, but they still won't hold a candle to a truly professionally built custom gun with a Rem 700 action as the basis for the rifle. I'd listen to Ridge Runner, he know what he's talking about. If it were me, and I had a lot of money to spend, I'd be looking at a custom M700 built by Kirby Allen in 7mm Allen Mag or .338 Edge. You want to talk about a long range rig, there it is. From what I gather, they'll shoot the wings of a gnat at 200 yards and both cartridges are legit 1k+ yard shooters.

Mike
Old 07-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

If Weatherby is what you like then go for it. However it would be near the bottom of the list for me. IMO they are very over priced and do not produce the kind of accuracy I would demand with the price tags they have.

I agree with driftrider and RR. Build a custom rifle. Choose the wood or synthetic stock, the barrel, the chambering, and the action. Build it the way you want it not the way some engineer thinks you want it.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

For that kind of dough - take a look at these.

http://www.jarrettrifles.com/custom.html

I couldn't pull up Gunwerks for some reason

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-24-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.