Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
buying a premium big game rifle? >

buying a premium big game rifle?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

buying a premium big game rifle?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
+1
this is what kirby's rifles are capable of

this deer was taken with a chipshot at 702 yards, if you decide to push the 7mm Allen Mag, this is easily achievable

total investment including a 6.5x20 mark IV loopy, a PDA running exbal, a kestrel 2800, dies, and 100 lapua brass was 3100.00.
RR

that rifle isnt practical in the north east. at 1,350yds seems you coulda picked out a little smaller deer hahaha
Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the gunwerks site.

http://www.gunwerks.com/
Old 07-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have personally owned two Weatherby mark V rifles,and I will never own another.I would take a Sako,Kimber,Cooper,Nosler,H-S Precision or NULA over any Weatherby.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

The Weatherby is a fine rifle, I have long lust after a Mark V .257. If it's truly what you want far be it from me to tell you otherwise.

However, with a couple grand on the line I send my money to Kirby Allen everytime. I have spoken with him about building me a Lightweight on a Borden action. Half the cost of a Jarrett and It will flat embarass a just about everything else accuracy wise. Gunwerks? well, their well promoted.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ask yourself one question,that being that if the Weatherby Mark V is such a good rifle,why does Weatherby only offer a three shot into 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee for the Mark V,when they offer a three shot into 1" accuracy guarantee on their lower priced Vanguard MOA?

Sako offers a five shot into 1" accuracy guarantee while even Tikka demands three shots into 1".

H-S Precision offers a 1/2" guarantee on some models,and Cooper offers a 1/2" accuracy guarantee for about the same price as a Weatherby Mark V deluxe.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by stubblejumper
Ask yourself one question,that being that if the Weatherby Mark V is such a good rifle,why does Weatherby only offer a three shot into 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee for the Mark V,when they offer a three shot into 1" accuracy guarantee on their lower priced Vanguard MOA?

Sako offers a five shot into 1" accuracy guarantee while even Tikka demands three shots into 1".

H-S Precision offers a 1/2" guarantee on some models,and Cooper offers a 1/2" accuracy guarantee for about the same price as a Weatherby Mark V deluxe.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_k...cher_weatherby

/www.weatherby.com/videogallery

have a look at how well these things are made stubble jumper
Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

have a look at how well these things are made stubble jumper
Your link does not work.And even if it did,I don't judge the quality of a gun based on the opinion posted at Chuckhawks.In fact I put very little faith in anything posted at Chuckhawks.

And as I previously posted,I have personally owned two Weatherby Mark V rifles,so I am well aware of the quality,or lack thereof.

I have owned Sako rifles,and I currently own a Cooper rifle,both have better fit and finish than my Weatherby rifles did.In fact the Cooper rifle is far superior in design,fit and finish,and accuracy wise for a price comparable to a Mark V.

Last edited by stubblejumper; 07-26-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Corey,

One last concern - remember to add up each ounce of weight (56MM scope ?) and ask yourself do you want to carry that around all day in the mountains ?

Good luck with your decision !!!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

One last concern - remember to add up each ounce of weight (56MM scope ?) and ask yourself do you want to carry that around all day in the mountains ?
That scope with an actual minimum magnification of 4.7x could be a big handicap in close cover.When a bull elk appears at 20 yards,even 3x seems like too much.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a nice set up. I had a Weatherby Deluxe in .300 wby mag that shoot under an inch at 100 yards as long as I did my part. I sold it to get an Accumark in .300 wby mag and it shoots well under an inch as well. I went with the Accumark because I did not want to have to baby a wood model any longer. I also think the Deluxe is about as good looking model as it gets with the Steyr Mannlicher SBS being close. I also shot another MarkV in .300 before I bought mine and it was a tight grouping gun. I don't remember all the details though. Since it's not a bench rest rifle you are after, the accuracy should be fine under hunting conditions where you won't be firing from a bench with bags. You never know what position you might be in when you need to fire the gun. The gun and cartridge is proven world wide on game like no other combination.

It's on the large/heavy side for something like deer. You could always use a load like what Nosler offers with their 150gr AccuBond. Shells do cost a bit, but then so does most other premium magnum loads. The good thing is that you can get more money back for your Weatherby brass than most other magnum loads buy selling them to re loaders.

For $2000.00 plus for a scope, I would look at something from Schmidt&Bender, Swarovski, or Zeiss.

The Sako is a fine rifle and I have a 75. They are well made as well but no better than the Weatherby. My Weatherby has a smoother and tighter action than my Sako 75. I have .002" of play with the Weatherby and .005" with the Sako. They both have very good triggers that can be adjusted and break clean. The synthetic stock on my Sako is not even close to the quality of stock on my Accumark. The both do fit the action and the trigger nice and tight with their line matching up. The Sako 75 is lighter in weight and has a nice palm swell.

I really like both and have each topped off with Zeiss Conquests 4.5x14x44mm. The Weatherby has Leupold rings and bases and the Sako has the Sako Opti Lock rings and bases.

The Weatherby Vangaurd MOA's are hand selected because they shoot to that level and then get the MOA floor plate and name. Otherwise they are the same as the other Vangaurd's.

Get the setup that works the best for yourself or what you like. What works for me, may not for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.