HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - buying a premium big game rifle?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Worc
Fork Horn

Sounds like a nice set up. I had a Weatherby Deluxe in .300 wby mag that shoot under an inch at 100 yards as long as I did my part. I sold it to get an Accumark in .300 wby mag and it shoots well under an inch as well. I went with the Accumark because I did not want to have to baby a wood model any longer. I also think the Deluxe is about as good looking model as it gets with the Steyr Mannlicher SBS being close. I also shot another MarkV in .300 before I bought mine and it was a tight grouping gun. I don't remember all the details though. Since it's not a bench rest rifle you are after, the accuracy should be fine under hunting conditions where you won't be firing from a bench with bags. You never know what position you might be in when you need to fire the gun. The gun and cartridge is proven world wide on game like no other combination.

It's on the large/heavy side for something like deer. You could always use a load like what Nosler offers with their 150gr AccuBond. Shells do cost a bit, but then so does most other premium magnum loads. The good thing is that you can get more money back for your Weatherby brass than most other magnum loads buy selling them to re loaders.

For $2000.00 plus for a scope, I would look at something from Schmidt&Bender, Swarovski, or Zeiss.

The Sako is a fine rifle and I have a 75. They are well made as well but no better than the Weatherby. My Weatherby has a smoother and tighter action than my Sako 75. I have .002" of play with the Weatherby and .005" with the Sako. They both have very good triggers that can be adjusted and break clean. The synthetic stock on my Sako is not even close to the quality of stock on my Accumark. The both do fit the action and the trigger nice and tight with their line matching up. The Sako 75 is lighter in weight and has a nice palm swell.

I really like both and have each topped off with Zeiss Conquests 4.5x14x44mm. The Weatherby has Leupold rings and bases and the Sako has the Sako Opti Lock rings and bases.

The Weatherby Vangaurd MOA's are hand selected because they shoot to that level and then get the MOA floor plate and name. Otherwise they are the same as the other Vangaurd's.

Get the setup that works the best for yourself or what you like. What works for me, may not for you.