Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Best bang for the buck ??? >

Best bang for the buck ???

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Best bang for the buck ???

Old 04-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best bang for the buck ???

ORIGINAL: RugerMike

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

The best bang for the buck is exactly what rugerM77 got. Unless you can find a used ruger mk2 target pistol, the 22/45 is the best possible economy accurate handgun you'll find-both purchase price AND cost of shooting. They're more accurate than you'll be able to shoot them. The only mod I would suggest is to have a trigger job or aftermarket trigger installed. I HIGHLY recommend you start out shooting a .22 to get the basics down such as trigger control & sight picture without sinking a LOAD of money into ammo costs. Then after you get to be an accomplished shooter, move up to a centerfire handgun.
I have a SS Target MKII with a 4X scope and I can tell you it will out shoot my capabilities and I can actually hold "one ragged hole groups at 50 yards on a good day. First time out squirrel hunting a got and seen 4 squirrels and 3 were bug eyes at 30+ yards. One awesome 22 pistol. I have an old original Ruger Bearcat that has taken more small game and birds than most hunters have ever seen, But I can tell you it is jellious everytime when I reach for the MKII!
One thing I like about my guns over my woman is that my guns won't get angry and try to take half my stuff if I bang a different one every once in awhile!

Seriously, though... you've been given good advise with the Ruger MkII/III. I like them both a lot. Another great rimfire pistol that I'm very fond of is the Browning Buckmark. If you want to go straight to centerfire, I'd strongly recommend the Springfield XD-9. Great gun, simple and not too expensive, but will shoot great and ammo isn't too bad for CF pistol. I absolutely love my XD. It's the first pistol I've ever owned that I didn't consider trading for a different one within a few months (and I've owned a few).

Mike

Old 04-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

A guy I work with has a 22lr Walther . Says it shoots good but has a little trouble jamming once in a while .
Looks like I,ll go with a 22 lr again. A lot cheaper to shoot .Not that I shoot a hole lot ..
I herd the Ruger Mark III has been redesined and is a tack driver .
What year did it come out ??
How much are the used Mark III,s going for or should I just by new ,,
What do they cost new ??
Thanks for the help and comments ...
Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Tracker:

I have both a Buckmark and a 22/45 Mark II. Both stainless steel versions. I really like both of them. Which one is better? In my opinion, neither. They have their differences, but both are reliable, good shooters.

I've never shot a Mark III, but have looked at them. I do not think that the differences are really that significant from the Mark II. Just some different styled grips, a cocking indicator, different sights ..... But that the end of the day, the same basic design that's been around for over a half a century. Why mess with success?

Be patient and look in the classifieds, in papers, on line, etc. -- you'll eventually find a USED Ruger that you are looking for -- they are popular and plentiful. You can save 30-50% as compared to new. I bought my Ruger used for $150! A guy said it was junk -- he just never took care of it. I took it home, tore it apart, cleaned it, and took it to the range. It's a great shooter. That gun new is $400 give or take today.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The mk3s also have a goofy magazine disconnect safety but it's very easily retrofitted back to mk2 by simply installing a mk2 hammer and chucking the magazine safety lever & it's spring.

ORIGINAL: wolverine72

Tracker:

I have both a Buckmark and a 22/45 Mark II. Both stainless steel versions. I really like both of them. Which one is better? In my opinion, neither. They have their differences, but both are reliable, good shooters.

I've never shot a Mark III, but have looked at them. I do not think that the differences are really that significant from the Mark II. Just some different styled grips, a cocking indicator, different sights ..... But that the end of the day, the same basic design that's been around for over a half a century. Why mess with success?

Be patient and look in the classifieds, in papers, on line, etc. -- you'll eventually find a USED Ruger that you are looking for -- they are popular and plentiful. You can save 30-50% as compared to new. I bought my Ruger used for $150! A guy said it was junk -- he just never took care of it. I took it home, tore it apart, cleaned it, and took it to the range. It's a great shooter. That gun new is $400 give or take today.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Spike

Iown and shoot a Sig Mosuito for over 2 years. I shoot it at least once a month, and run about 200-300 round thru it a month (no problems).
This is very typical of a .22 auto ___>>> You have to find what brand/types of ammo that Mosquito "likes", and then go with that...
Most people who compalin about this pistol have very little knowledge of how to test out a .22 auto., and so they complain or use the wrong ammo.
Take Care.

ORIGINAL: Powerfisher

I just picked up a Sig p220 .45 and I love it. It was pre owned but it shoots great and is loved muchmore now than it was before....boy was it dirty when I got it. Its not as plinker but I will agree that Sig make a good pistol.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

anyone shot or owna Beretta U22 ???
How are they as far as ftf or quality ????