HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Best bang for the buck ??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/292317-best-bang-buck.html)

TRACKER 04-19-2009 08:46 PM

Best bang for the buck ???

Looking to get a new automatic pistol .
Mostly for plunking , practice and defence .
Looking at either a 22 cal. most economical to shoot or possibly a heavier cal. like a 40 cal..
Any ideas on a nice gun at a reasonable price .
Whats a litely used XD 40 cal, kit worth ???

jimmy the foot 04-19-2009 10:53 PM

RE: Best bang for the buck ???

i have a 40
USP compact
got a great deal on it outside the post, Fort Polk
the thing with 40 is it's kind of an odd ball round if ya ask me
if i had to do it all over again i would have got the 9mm
just my 2 cents though

as far as model i have fired quite a few manuf. models and to tell you the truth i have yet to shoot a really bad automatic
i know what i am capable of doing with one at 15 yrds and to me there is really no big difference between say a ruger or S&W or H&K
every pistol like a specific ammo better then the rest so find out what that is and your golden
only difference i see usually between most brands is the price to be honest

RugerM77.270 04-20-2009 06:07 AM

I picked up a Ruger Mark III 22lr for plinking this weekend for $260. Its a classic pistol and well made. For the money its one of the best 22's out there.

stalkingbear 04-20-2009 06:52 AM

The best bang for the buck is exactly what rugerM77 got. Unless you can find a used ruger mk2 target pistol, the 22/45 is the best possible economy accurate handgun you'll find-both purchase price AND cost of shooting. They're more accurate than you'll be able to shoot them. The only mod I would suggest is to have a trigger job or aftermarket trigger installed. I HIGHLY recommend you start out shooting a .22 to get the basics down such as trigger control & sight picture without sinking a LOAD of money into ammo costs. Then after you get to be an accomplished shooter, move up to a centerfire handgun.

TRACKER 04-20-2009 08:09 PM

I took a look at the Sig Mosquito 22 lr pistol .
Nice looking gun .
I ve read old reveiws and they didnt seam to prays the gun any .
Has Sig made any changes or mods to the newest sig Mosquito ????

VAhuntr 04-23-2009 04:11 AM

ORIGINAL: TRACKER

I took a look at the Sig Mosquito 22 lr pistol .
Nice looking gun .
I ve read old reveiws and they didnt seam to prays the gun any .
Has Sig made any changes or mods to the newest sig Mosquito ????
You might try going over to the Sig forum, registering and posting this question there. I'm a big fan ofSigpistols butas you stated, there are a lot of reports of problems with the Mosquitos.

Powerfisher 04-23-2009 06:57 AM

I just picked up a Sig p220 .45 and I love it. It was pre owned but it shoots great and is loved muchmore now than it was before....boy was it dirty when I got it. Its not as plinker but I will agree that Sig make a good pistol.

VAhuntr 04-23-2009 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Powerfisher

I just picked up a Sig p220 .45 and I love it. It was pre owned but it shoots great and is loved muchmore now than it was before....boy was it dirty when I got it. Its not as plinker but I will agree that Sig make a good pistol.

If I ever get another .45 ACP, the P220 will probably be the one.

uncle matt 04-23-2009 11:28 AM

I don't understand the original questioning. You say economical and I assume you mean ammo wise. There is adifference in ammo for a .40 vs. .22LR - BIG difference.

So I will go the .22 route and the Rugers semi-auto offerings are nice but I am also a big fan of their wheel guns. The Browning semis are good too.

Now this is just me but I really like the Walther P22.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002& amp;categoryId=43804&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=43326&top_category=43 326&training=

RugerMike 04-23-2009 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

The best bang for the buck is exactly what rugerM77 got. Unless you can find a used ruger mk2 target pistol, the 22/45 is the best possible economy accurate handgun you'll find-both purchase price AND cost of shooting. They're more accurate than you'll be able to shoot them. The only mod I would suggest is to have a trigger job or aftermarket trigger installed. I HIGHLY recommend you start out shooting a .22 to get the basics down such as trigger control & sight picture without sinking a LOAD of money into ammo costs. Then after you get to be an accomplished shooter, move up to a centerfire handgun.
I have a SS Target MKII with a 4X scope and I can tell you it will out shoot my capabilities and I can actually hold "one ragged hole groups at 50 yards on a good day. First time out squirrel hunting a got and seen 4 squirrels and 3 were bug eyes at 30+ yards. One awesome 22 pistol. I have an old original Ruger Bearcat that has taken moresmall game and birds than most hunters have ever seen, ButI can tell you it is jellious everytime when I reach for the MKII!:(:(:(