Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

x-bolt vs 700

Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: x-bolt vs 700

I have a Rem 700 and love it. Have nothing against the browning and think they make a fine gun as well. I really think you are splitting hairs. If the gun shoots straight, groups well, and cycles without any problems how can you say one is better than the other.

I like the look of the X-Bolts and think they are a fine gun, I may even buy one if i get another long gun, but to say one is better than the other is kinda like splitting hairs. Each gun is going to fit you differently. Might as well buy the one that shoulders nicely and fits you. Any rifle with even half assed maintenance is going to last well into another generation. I have a Winchester 30-06 in my safe that is almost 80 years old and still shoots.

I think browning has an edge with the free floated barrels and bedded stocks, but a model 700 is almost a standard in the world of hunting.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM

No point stubblejumper... Just my observation.
American made, I dont know... might mean American jobs?IMHO
Made in Japan does not mean the product is bad... as you said, look at the Remington 770.
But that was an American job that made that 770... Get it?
I have a Howa that is an excellant shooter, Just prefer to keep the jobs, as much as possible, right here at home!
If both shoot equally well, why not stimulate our economy instead of another countries?
Anyway, this is a gun forum... lets talk about guns!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just like most of the features of the A-bolt/X-bolt. To each his own and unlike stubble, i don't have to worry about safetys freezing up so I like the 3 locking lug and huge extractor. I look for rifles that look as if they've been drug behind truck to strip for the action to build.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:59 PM

I had a old Rem.700 that had a nack for freezing up the firing pin if you brought it out of the toastiehunting camp into the coooold. Remington tried to fix it twice, then they finally fitted a completelynew bolt to it, problam solved.
I thought it may have had too much oil or what not in the firing pin gally, but that was not the case so said remington. Something to do with the o.d of the firing pin spring and the i.d of the gally...duh! Who would of known.lol
Old 04-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Made in Japan does not mean the product is bad... as you said, look at the Remington 770.
But that was an American job that made that 770... Get it?
If a persons job is building 770s,that job is totally unecessary.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

stubblejumper i could not agree more about the 770 it is a shame remington would put their name on it and for the record not all of remingtons are maade in the us either hence the spr's and the spartan shotguns
Old 04-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yall better watch out-there's a couple newer members that'll call you uninformed and not knowing anything about guns when they read your post against their beloved 710 or 770 like they TRIED to do to me.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 AM

Well, I have to agree that the 710 and 770 leaves something to be desired... but that is my opinion only.
I've seen 710's shoot just as well as a 700! I don't understand how the public will love one model and hate another, just on merits of its construction... I mean if your going to dislike the 770.... how can you love a Tikka? That ought to get the flames big. hehehe
By the way, big green has dropped the spr line. Remington can make junk just as well as our european friends can, no need to import it.lol
In its element, the 770 is a great rifle! People seem to think that quality is equated with cost. Sometimes true but not the rule of thumb.
Our bluing guy was badmouthin' one of the other employees Stevens 200... this went on for months. Well low and behold, come range day, quess who got their a$$ handed to them?? That kid with the Stevens put a woopin' on ol' Remington 700 guy.
We try not to let ol' Bart forget it either.hehehe We love you Bart.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I mean if your going to dislike the 770.... how can you love a Tikka?
Because the Tikka doesn't have an action that feels like it's full of grit.It also doesn't have a crappy trigger or a press fit barrelThe 710/770 has all three features.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

i have to agree about the tikka way better than 770 i dont know hw they shoot but they sure do feel nice plus why buy a 450 dollar 770 when you could buy a 500 dollar 700 sps with a fit and feel way better than the 770. i am beggining t think that since i know and love the 700 maabye i will jut stick with it like my old man used to say there is no sense in fixing what is not broken i do appreciate all the input though if not a 700 mabye a model 7 but really no difference there

Quick Reply: x-bolt vs 700

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.