Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

x-bolt vs 700

Old 04-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: x-bolt vs 700

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

I'll take the Browning over the Rem any day. As a matter of fact I did just that last weekend! Picked up an X-Bolt in 300 WSM.
Ditto... but mine was in 7mm Rem Mag...

Old 04-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

I've had A-Bolts and 700's, pro's and con's either way. I've looked at the x-bolt and am quite honestly not too impressed. In my opinion, they are a cheapened A-Bolt.

I prefer the 700's, and absolutely love the fit, finish, and feel of the new CDL's, and I've always like the BDL. 700 parts are easy to find, they can easily be customized, and all 700's I own consistently shoot sub MOA with the right loads. Plus the 700's are made in the USA. Not bashing Japanese made products, or trying to be a protectionist, because I have Japanese made products like Bushnell scopes -- but there's something nice about owning guns made in the USA.

I had an A-Bolt that shot MOA all day long with factory rounds, but traded a friend for one of my 700's in .243 Win that shoots particular hand load's 0.5 MOA. My brother had a Medallion that had a terrible finish on the stock -- the barrel channel was cut so crooked it had a very large gap on one side, and pressed firmly against the barrel on the other. After arguing with Browning about it, the factory finally replaced it. With the new stock, it's a great shooter. He recently bought a stainless stalker A-Bolt that is an absolute tack driver. He likes Browning's because they have a great assortment of left hand bolt actions. He also likes the BPS's because of the bottom eject and tang safety -- again, nice for a lefty.

Browning has a great brand and marketing department, and thus, a great following. I myself will take 870's and 700's all day long over A-Bolts, X-Bolts, and BPS's. That's just my opinion and where my money goes. Others, like my brother, may differ, and that's perfectly fine. It's their own money too.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

i have to agree with some of you about the remmy the reason i gave the browning one point for being bedded is i just bedded my 700 bdl 300 rum and finished thestock and there was supriingly more work to it than i thought and also i did not know that brownings are not american made
Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll never have another rifle/action other than A-bolt/X-bolt.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll never have another rifle/action other than A-bolt/X-bolt.
Your loss.There are far too many good rifles out there to limit yourself to one brand.I just bought a Cooper myself,as I enjoy trying out promising new products.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somebody would have to come out with something pretty spectacular for me to switch from browning actions.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Somebody would have to come out with something pretty spectacular for me to switch from browning actions.
I have owned an A-bolt myself,and I certainly didn't think that it was at all spectacular.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:29 PM

All said... Get the Remington. The x-Bolt has not proven to be a good shooter so far. Pull the bolt out of one and I think you'll be amused to say the least!
As was stated earlier, the Browning is made in... dare I say it... Japan.
I personally dont care for the euro trashish look the X-Bolt has. On a good note, the triggers seem to have some promise, I have not had any customers really complain of the triggers. That's not to say the triggers are great, but adequate.
It is a shame Browning, once the maker of fine firearms has taken the turn they have. Still riding on the old Browning name.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

As was stated earlier, the Browning is made in... dare I say it... Japan.
And your point is?I would rather have a Browning or Howa than an American made Remington 770.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deleting to keep the peace! Why I don't know!

Quick Reply: x-bolt vs 700

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.