Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

high point firearms

Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 AM

Default RE: high point firearms

Hi-Point equals junk.
Buy a good used pistol or increase your budget.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 AM

My dad has one and a buddy of mine "had" one. I don't think my dad has ever even shot his but my buddy had his for a short time and saidthatit was junk! He said it would jam all the time. I have heard other people complain about the same issue and they all agree that about the only defense your gonna get out of those guns is to pistol whip your attacker with it. I found a gun I am thinking about getting and it is a very good bargain in my opinion. It's a Taurus pt 24/7 pro and sportsmans warehouse has them for a reasonable $369.99. Definitely save your money and go with something else! Just my .2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzvdue-AeI8&feature=related

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=99&category=Pistol

Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jecole360

I found a gun I am thinking about getting and it is a very good bargain in my opinion. It's a Taurus pt 24/7 pro and sportsmans warehouse has them for a reasonable $369.99. Definitely save your money and go with something else! Just my .2
Be careful with ANY gun that has an internal locking device. At my club we have had one Taurus 24/7 and two Smith & Wesson M&P (all there were chamberedin 40 S&W) where the internal locking safety device failed. The result was a live round in the chamber with a slide that would not cycle and a trigger that would not fire the round. Each gun had to be damaged (parts broken) to remove the live round in the chamber.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

JUNK! Hi-Point = VERY Low-Point!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

locally, you could get a Springfield XD 9 (9mm) for $449 on sale with 2 mags. It's really hard to beat this deal for such a great firearm. Those who have know exactly what i am talking about.

As others said, save another $100 and get a better firearm. You will have it most likely forever so what is an extra $100???

I have the XD and its really the best pistol for the money IMO. Now for concealed carry, you could look at the Bersa Thunder in 380. Another great reliable gun for about $229. Easy to carry, cheap price and very good quality.

but whatever you do, make sure the gun fits your hand and worry less about brand. I see people buy Glocks all the time just cuz they have to have a "glock" and the grip angle doesnt fit them and they can't hit paper at 10 yards. The most important thing is to make sure it fits you first. Then take a course, learn your firearm and you will be satisfied.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the 45ACP for something to play with. I put 100 rounds through it so far and it shoots fine. No jams, reasonably accurate (as accurate as a 4 1/2" barrel can be). If you want some info check out http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com
Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 PM

Just bought the High Point Compact 9mm, I LOVE IT !!!!!
I took it to the range and put 300 rounds through it with out a hitch,
they are a little heavy but that came in handy. It was very acurate. I will be buying the 45 and a 40 next payday. I say get them while you can and the Price is RIGHT! $147.00 for the 9mm try thegunsource.com they have great buys on them. I am a Retired Military 22 years and I will tell everyone about them, dont listen to the sour grapes people who paid hundreds more for there fancy guns that do the same thing. High Point Has my vote every time!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: STOP_OBAMA

Just bought the High Point Compact 9mm, I LOVE IT !!!!!
I took it to the range and put 300 rounds through it with out a hitch,
they are a little heavy but that came in handy. It was very acurate. I will be buying the 45 and a 40 next payday. I say get them while you can and the Price is RIGHT! $147.00 for the 9mm try thegunsource.com they have great buys on them. I am a Retired Military 22 years and I will tell everyone about them, dont listen to the sour grapes people who paid hundreds more for there fancy guns that do the same thing. High Point Has my vote every time!
You sound like one of the guys from the hi point forum on some of the posts I read. No thanks I'd rather buy a Ruger or S&W or something for a little bit more and know I got a quality gun rather than buying one and testing it and hoping it goes off everytime.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one in 45 auto and it shot ok and was reasonably accurate. I shot about 350 rounds through it and it never jammed or failed. About the only real complaints where its bulk and the hard plastic and pretty much non existent grips make it hard to hold onto well with a few shots fired and it gave me blisters. I would rate it about a 6 out of 10 if I had to. It does work, it is cheap and seems reasonably reliable in my experience. I got my money back out of it and used that money to upgrade to a milspec 1911 45 auto.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just not going to have something that's blowback operated regardless of caliber/pressure level-only .22s are supposed to be blowback operated. Also the slide is cast zinc-really makes me feel good about the strength. Yes indeed,field stripping them is REAL FUN,trying to hold slide back exactly the right point while knocking the pin out with punch. Lastly due to the material & type of operation 80% of the weight is in the slide,meaning they actually produce accented whipping back & forth as the humongous slide travels. Those are the facts folks. I noticed the only poster promoting them to the point of badmouthing all other guns don't seem to be on the level-time will tell as he posts more. I'm rather suprized someone retired from USN actually trusts his life to that sort of firearm. SOONER OR LATER almost all of them WILL mess up according to what I've seen come into my shop to be repaired or sent back to factory, if you shoot them enough. I refuze to work on them but will send them back to factory.

Quick Reply: high point firearms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.