Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Gun help ASAP PLZ!!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gun help ASAP PLZ!!!!

just found out im goin to the gun show in okc tomorrow....

was curious if the H and R single shot centerfire riles were any good...

seen on the net there not very expensive so was just curious if the were good
Old 11-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gun help ASAP PLZ!!!!

My dad has one in .17HMR and my brother has one in .204 Ruger and they both are tack drivers.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are great budget rifle and can be very accurate. If you see one at a good deal get it and you most likely won't be disappointed.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never owned one, but I have friends that do and they like them fine. I would prefer a bolt, but that's how I am. I would rather have a used bolt than a new single shot. Like I said though, my buds like 'em just fine! Let us know what you get.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:18 AM

they are great guns. can be tack drivers with a little work.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Well at the gun show someone offered me $400 for my 243 that i bought for $175 last year. so now i need to find me a new gun... prolly just get me a bolt action but im gonna buy an h&r for my bro when he graduates military school
Old 11-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know someone whom when getting into hunting was bought one by a family member. It's a .243 I really don't understand it. To me you minus well just buy a muzzle loader if you want a single shot gun. Then you'd at least get to hunt during muzzle loader season too. It's not a bad shooting gun but I just don't like single shots. I'd rather have a bolt action or semi auto. If I'm going to only have 1 shot I'd just assume have a muzzle loader I can use during regular hunting season and muzzle loading season.

I also don't like that theirs has a synthetic stock which to me has a cheap feel to it even on the higher end guns that have it.

I'd just want something that held more than one shot at a time if I was going to buy a rifle.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a little experience with the H&R single shots but it was a brief one. I think you'redrawing straws when you buy one as there are those that shoot with good accuracy and those that don't. I had a 270 first and it shot ok butcertainly nothing to talk about so i sold it. I then bought the 25.06 and decided to spend a little more time on it but it just wouldn't shoot with anykind of accuracy at all with factory pills or my handloads. I did all the things i knew to do to make it shoot like floating the forearm, had it recrowned, and even a trigger jobbut it just would not group with any consistency at all so i sold it too. On the flip sidea good friend of mine bought a 223 and it was totally opposite and would shoot one hole groups at 100yds and would shoot just about anything he fed it with acceptable accuracy. Thats why i say i think there are good ones and bad ones. IMO they are goodrifles for a beginner on a tight budget or someone who hunts thick woods with limited visibility and shots under 100yds. Of course all this is just my opinon and you know what they say about opinions, everybodys got one. Mike
Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I know someone whom when getting into hunting was bought one by a family member. It's a .243 I really don't understand it. To me you minus well just buy a muzzle loader if you want a single shot gun. Then you'd at least get to hunt during muzzle loader season too. It's not a bad shooting gun but I just don't like single shots. I'd rather have a bolt action or semi auto. If I'm going to only have 1 shot I'd just assume have a muzzle loader I can use during regular hunting season and muzzle loading season.

I also don't like that theirs has a synthetic stock which to me has a cheap feel to it even on the higher end guns that have it.

I'd just want something that held more than one shot at a time if I was going to buy a rifle.

How many shots do you need?? Tom.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me attempt to explain-at least MY views. The whole idea when hunting is to have 1 well placed shot. I taught my kids,as well as a lot of other people-not just kids,and was raised myself with a single shot rifle. If you KNOW you ONLY have 1 shot,and learn that way until it's ingrained in you,you're going to wait until you have a perfect(or close to it) shot before you ever pull the trigger. In that way,the AVERAGE hunter that was raised with only 1 shot will pass up more shots,but of the shots he/she does take,will usually enjoy a higher success ratio for the shots they DO take. See what I mean? In other words,the person hunting with a single shot will be somewhat more successful PER SHOT TAKEN vs somebody that knows they have more shots ready to "unleash". After all,the 1st shot is going to be the best by far IF you practice self control. Not saying it's more or less responsible to use repeater or single shot,just that a person hunting with single shot don't feel constrained whatsoever. I own both and while ruger #1s are great,and my encore performs good no matter what,I usually hunt with my 1 of my a-bolts now,mostly because of their incredible accuracy. Just so you know I'm not 1 of those "single shot snobs".

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman
I know someone whom when getting into hunting was bought one by a family member. It's a .243 I really don't understand it. To me you minus well just buy a muzzle loader if you want a single shot gun. Then you'd at least get to hunt during muzzle loader season too. It's not a bad shooting gun but I just don't like single shots. I'd rather have a bolt action or semi auto. If I'm going to only have 1 shot I'd just assume have a muzzle loader I can use during regular hunting season and muzzle loading season. I'd just want something that held more than one shot at a time if I was going to buy a rifle.