Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Finally did it

Old 09-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Finally did it

Well I finally broke down and bought a black rifle. Being lefty, I decided on the Stag Arms 15 - in the 4L configuration. (20" barrel, solid stock, removable handle.) I took it home and cleaned it all up and removed the handle. Installed a multi-reticle red dot scope on it.
I have plenty of different ammo to try. Can't wait till the weather clears to try it out.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Spike

Default RE: Finally did it

Pics?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I took the Stag AR out for a test run yesterday and today. I had a multi-reticle sight on it but wasn't as great an idea as I thought. I actually took it off at the range and put the carry handle back on and shot better.
When I came home I put a real scope on it. I had a Bushnell 3-9X laying around.
I shot the following ammo with it: UMC 55 gr, Remington 55 gr, PMP 55 gr, Wolf 55 gr, Wolf 62 gr, and 60 gr handloads. The handloads were not chambering properly which was odd as they work well in my bolt rifle and my Mini 14. I ordered a Small Base die to try.
Of the others, the PMP and Remington shot the best groups. But I think the first thing that is going to have to be done with the rifle is get a trigger job. The rifle has potential but not with the present trigger. Way too much creep and too heavy for accurate shooting. Still, with the PMP and Rem ammo, I shot 1/2" - 3/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yds.
Well give an additional report when I get my SB die.
BTW, I did have one failure to eject, and I could not pull back on the bolt enough. But all I had to do was rap the butt on the ground and the bolt flew back and the case ejected. (Hey, it was in the manual)
Old 09-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Well I finally broke down and bought a black rifle. Being lefty, I decided on the Stag Arms 15 - in the 4L configuration. (20" barrel, solid stock, removable handle.) I took it home and cleaned it all up and removed the handle. Installed a multi-reticle red dot scope on it.
I have plenty of different ammo to try. Can't wait till the weather clears to try it out.
........Oh, noooo....You too??? If you guys don't stop doing this to me, I'm gonna have to break down and get one also. Then I fear a whole new world is going to open up for me...just what I need........
Old 09-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

........Oh, noooo....You too??? If you guys don't stop doing this to me, I'm gonna have to break down and get one also. Then I fear a whole new world is going to open up for me...just what I need........
You gotta get one! You don't know what your missing!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Rock River Varminter about two years ago. Now I use the rifle all the time. At one time I made fun of the guys who hunted with an AR. Boy was I wrong. Just make sure you get some good lube and run her wet. Especially during your break in period. Which can be 500 rounds or so. Tom.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Head - yours looks almost exactly like mine except I have a different forearm and a front sight. Mine has the removable carry handle. And I have a 20" barrel, but it isn't a bull barrel. I see you installed a scope using some high rings on top of mounting blocks. I went with the super high rings. I figure one less thing to come loose.
This is my first AR style. And until I got it, I was unaware of all you can do with them. The interchangeability seems never ending. Some of the uppers you can get are 204, 223, 6.5, 6.8, 308 the Rugers, and on and on. Different barrel configurations, stocks. Its like a multi round Contender or Encore.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Some of the uppers you can get are 204, 223, 6.5, 6.8, 308 the Rugers, and on and on. Different barrel configurations, stocks. Its like a multi round Contender or Encore.
Some of those uppers you need an AR10 lower, like the 308, 260 and so forth because of cartridge length, but yes they are very versital. How dare you though, compare the AR platformto a TC, thats just not right!