Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

rem 7400?

Old 09-07-2003, 11:20 PM

Default RE: rem 7400?

It would be a rare occasion for me to shoot a deer at 400 yards since 99% of the time I am hunting in the woods and even if I did take a 400 yard shot I would be comfortable taking the shot.
You are more or less guessing when you say " So I bet groups at 400 yards is 10" ." . I do have a bias opinion because I own the gun, but even before I owned one I never doubted what it was capable of because I had practiced with my Uncle' s gun and knew that I can take a clean kill from certain distances. I have seen a lot of people on these forums say that all guns (even the same type of gun)
will shoot different with different ammo... so why is it so hard to believe a 7400 will shoot different with different ammo? If someone were to get a 2" pattern at 100 yards what makes you think that every brand and every grain of ammo will shoot the same?
Why would Remington keep a gun on the market that jammed every time you went to shoot it? Don' t you think they would be forced to fix it? Don' t you think that would eventually cause them to go out of business since people wouldn' t be able to trust there firearms? If you let dirt build up in your gun you deserve to have your gun jam on you.
Everyone is always saying how the 7400' s always jam. Why don' t they say how old that model is so everyone can know that they are having problems from a 30 year old model (just an example).
What is the point of saying your friend' s dad' s friend' s aunt' s friend has jamming problems with there 7400? That is how rumors get started (they are already started, that was just an example). Let' s see more personal experiences rather then saying a friend of a friends gun jammed. Let' s see how often that gun gets cleaned.
The three 7400' s that I have experience (shooting experience) with are all newer models, they get cleaned more then once a season and they have never jammed, not once. That is around 10 years of use put into these 3 guns (all three together, not each).
I believe proper care and practice is the key.

RustyOlRanger4x4,
Don' t worry about cleaning your gun more then you would clean any other gun. Clean it if you feel it is needed. The owner' s manual should tell you all you need to know. If you don' t have the owner' s manual go to www.remington.com they will have them on there. I just use a kit from Wal-Mart to clean my gun. It seems the people that have a decent amount of experience with the 7400 will tell you it is a good rifle, the others seem to go off of hearsay.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:01 AM
bigcountry

Not really guessing, hypothesizing, more like it. One, I see where ya from. Since I grew up and spent 20 years in the commonwealth, I understand and grew up with the tall tails, and know how to range tall tails from the state. So if someone says they kill a 22" spread buck, I usually know its 18" . Just Ky rules. If they say they shot it in the eye at 500 yards, I know it was more like a boiler room shot at 250 yards. And since I spent alot of time working with a bunch of these semis, I do know what they are capable of. So sure, I am willing to take a challege. Like can someone hit 6" groups at 400 yards type of challege. And since I do go to Pikeville every two months for the folks and a girlfriend, I might be persuaded to take a 2 hour drive to see someone hit a pie plate 3 out of 3 shots with 2 out of 3 groups at 400 yards.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:06 AM
bigcountry

Also, by the way, I do shoot a 7400 cause I have hunted with it for 15 years or so. And it has brought me great fortune. I handload only, so I can cater the round to have the force to make it cycle the way I want to so jamming for me is not the issue, but more accuracy. See I can take your daddy' s 7400 and tighten down that forarm screw down really snug and change the POI by up to 6" at 100 yards, then loosen it and move it back up 12" .

And yes, Remington does know about this doesn' t care. And yes, they can keep making them. And yes, it is hurting their repetation and their sales show it. And yes, quality is way down on all remington products. And after owning 20 or 30 or thier guns, I won' t buy another.

Old 09-08-2003, 08:20 PM

Btw, anything I say is not meant to be hostile or piss people off, just stating my oppinion[8D].

I don' t know, people do tend to lie about how big there bucks are but a lot of the time it is not needed where I hunt (Lewis County). Our does look like bucks (without the antlers) and the bucks have great genetics so 22" spread is small (not really, but they do get HUGE).
Old 09-09-2003, 05:31 AM
bigcountry

Oh, no, our Pike County, Ky Bucks beats your Lewis county bucks by a mile. Just joking.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]