HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   rem 7400? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/26125-rem-7400-a.html)

jjo 03-14-2003 02:26 PM

rem 7400?

i' m buying a rem 7400 in 270. if any of you guys have one ,what do you think. how do they handle. i' ll be shooting factory loads. what seems to shoot better out of your gun. thanks

jjo

Ruger-Redhawk 03-15-2003 05:41 PM

RE: rem 7400?

I personally would stay away from Remington semi auto' s.The old 740' s 742' s and 7400' s have been given the name " Jam masters" .You would be much better off getting more money together and buying a Browning BAR.I' ve HAD two model 742' s (30-06)and was never satisfied with either of them.Notice I said HAD.First chance I got I sold both of them.Use you own judgement.
Ruger Redhawk

stubblejumper 03-15-2003 09:18 PM

The only experience I have had with 7400' s is to try to help a couple of friends try to stop theirs from jamming.

LARRY338 03-16-2003 04:57 AM

Ive had my hands on dozens of the various jam masters, and these rifles require more attention than your average hunter is willing to devote to keeping a rifle shooting. Mainly they require cleaning after shooting. Something most deer hunters dont know anything about. They have put alot of money in the pockets of mom and pop gunshops though. I doubt if it will matter what ammo you try first. Just try several and pick the best. One thing about gas operated guns is that you need to be careful not to zero it hot. Its a pain to wait, but they will shoot erratically when hot. Let it cool between shots and go back and check zero when the gun is completely cooled. Good luck.

Ruger-Redhawk 03-16-2003 08:37 AM

Looks like we all have about the same opinions about the Remington semi auto' s.jjo if you haven' t bought it yet I would rethink your purchase.
Ruger Redhawk

deerslayer444 03-17-2003 09:29 PM

I bought a .270 model 7400 this past season and was quite pleased with it. Not had any problems at all as of yet. They are like most semi-autos in that they like to be cleaned after each outing, which is something I do with all of my guns. I didn' t have time to work up any handloads before hunting, so I used Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in 130 grain with good results. Not to open a can of worms here, but it would seem Remington has been producing these rifles long enough now to have the bugs worked out.

soarkrebel 03-17-2003 10:18 PM

I have owned a 742 for 20+ years and it has never jammed. looks like it just came out of the box! key to not jamming? as with any semi auto keep it clean!

Now would i buy one today? NO! i prefer bolt action rifles. one should only need one shot. so why not buy a single? i would.

If this old remington didnt have sentimental value i would sell it and get a single shot!

MinnFinn 03-19-2003 07:22 PM

If you plan to use it for 125 yds. or less with a decent scope, it can work for you. You' ll have a hard time getting to less than 4 in. groupings at that range. That may be good enough for you. In cold weather (10 degrees or less) you have to be very careful to have just the lightest bit of good gun oil or none. I have a 7400 in 30-06 for a brush rifle in northern MN. Where I hunt with it, I never get a shot greater than 100 yards.

I think there are other autos (e.g. BAR), which are better, but of course they cost considerably more. I' m personally moving away from autos to quality bolt-action (Tikka) with a better scope (Leopold) the next time I buy a big game rifle.

MinnFinn

Quilly 03-21-2003 03:05 AM

don' t buy one.!!![:o]

i had the same exact one/ spent tons of money to be able to keep the gun. bought new magazines (3) and tried almost every types of ammo and bullet weights from round nosed to spitzers to ballistic tips and she still jammed. but found that the gun did not like 140gr at all.

ave your money and buy a BAR . i have one and she has not became a " one shot " rifle.

LeeinVa1 04-17-2003 11:51 PM

i HAD one, tried to give it to my brother and he did not like it, ended up GIVING it away to someone that needed a rifle. problem i had with it was the weight, expecially once you added a scope to it. sure hope i did not ruin that guy for the rest of his life.