Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

rem 7400?

Old 06-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rem 7400?

i too have had a 742 in 308 and never a jam. i took it caribou hunting in -20 degree temperatures with ice and snow even getting in the action.i have had bolt actions that when its 20 degrees out become hard to operate mostly because the shooters hands are too numb to cycle the action all the way through causing jam ups.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still own a model 7400 in 30-06. It was the first gun I ever bought with my own money. It is no longer my primary hunting rifle but to my knowledge it has never jammed on me or anyone who has used it. And I am not an obsessive gun cleaning freak either. Just gave it occasional routine cleanings. In fact I broke it out a couple of weeks ago and shot a box of bullets through it and they cycled through it fine.This is a very common gun where I live and never in my 37 years of life have I heard of it being particularly prone to jamming. Not calling others a lie or anything. I' m just telling you my personal experience with it. Also it may not match the 3 shot groups one can achieve with a high grade bolt action rifle but I never had trouble killing deer out to 200 yards with it and feel certain I could have killed them even farther if necessary.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:47 AM

I have a 742 in .243 and a friend has one in .308. Both are very reliable - I can' t recall a jam with either - and their accuracy is on a par with most hunting rifles of any action type.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

All I can say is whoever has one for any period of time and never had a problem with theirs is truly a lucky person and should plan on staying in Vegas for a week. I am usually a little slow in finding out things when it comes to gun manufacturers and gave Remington 3 tries on three different 742,7400' s to get it right and they didn' t. Can' t believe the state of CA has this under the assault weapon category(is this true?) its a single shot rifle.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:25 PM
bigcountry

I have one. I love it and hate it. But it was my first real gun that I had of my own without borrowing. It has never jammed. And won' t if you keep that gas port cleaned out and the the old oil cleaned out of your action. I do with pipe cleaners. More poeple use welding torch cleaners.

I have to say for reloading, it has been the toughest gun I ever reloaded for. its a 270 also. 4064 won' t cycle. Varget won' t cycle. Only thing that will cycle is 4350, but with 1.3" accuracy at 100 yards with Sierra 130gr bullets. I am satisfied with that.

Bad part is the forarm screw. Depending on how tight it is, your point of impact can and will change 8" at 100 yards. I have had many a friend tell me different in theres, and blame POI on bad scopes, bad bases, etc. But when I get them to the range, I show them this and they are amazed they spent money on new scopes and all. This is a pain the a$$.

For a guy like you, I would stay away from it. I dearly love mine however cause its got me more deer than some hunters get in lifetime. And will always use it. This will be the first year, I probably won' t use only this gun for deer in rifle countys. Got a new Medallion I plan on using some also.

Look into the BAR. I have traded these semis for along time, and they are the least jammin Semis you can get in my opinion. But I have seen them jam also. Due to manufacturing defects and poor cleaning practices.

270 is probably the worse caliber to get in a semi. You have a really limited window of operation when it comes to finding a powder that cycles correctly and shoots well if you reload. Might look into a 30-06.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:09 AM

i have had a 7400 in 30-06 for about 12 years now. when i first got it, it did jam but i believe it was because of the way i cleaned it. to much oil. a local smith told me to use a dry teflon lube on the action. has never jamed since. i have put alot of rounds through this gun. in my opinion i would not buy another one. i would stick with a bolt. i love this gun because it was given to by my father.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:29 PM

I own a mid 80' 5 model 74 sportsman in 30-06. It is the same as the 7400, only a lower grade of wood with no checkering and it has a matte blueing. The only problem I have ever had with it was the action hanging up while chambering a round in -0 temps. That was back in the day before Rem oil (Teflon). Since I switched to Rem oil, I have not had any problems. Just clean it after every outing and they are fine in my opinion.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-23-2003, 12:37 PM
bigcountry

Russ, do you mean, your POI dont change when you tighten down that forarm screw or loosen it. If yours don' t, then you have a one in a 1000. Due to their design, that screw puts or takes away pressure on the barrel

Old 07-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 2 people I know that have 7400' s have problems with jamming. My father in laws jams almost every time he uses it. He took it to a gunsmith, they worked on the clip...they said that was a common problem. He got it back, and it jammed just like before. $60 down the drain because he said he didn' t care and wasn' t taking it back to get it fixed right. Personally I' d get a bolt or a pump if you want a Rem. If you are set on a semi, look at a BAR. I know a couple folks that have those and they work excellent.

Quick Reply: rem 7400?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.