Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger MKIII.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ruger MKIII.

Whats the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on this gun? I have a tough decision to make, i know what coyote rifle i am going to get, but i dont know if i buy that, or a trapline pistol like this. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger MKIII.

I have two Mark II's and a 45/22 with several thousand rounds through them. I would recommend the pistols to anybody that wants a good quality pistol. The only thing I have found on the 45/22 is when you load the clip you need to slightly pull up the tip on the top shell otherwise it will not feed. I have bought a couple ones like that and they were hardly shot and I think that is way. Though if you know the trick on it the rest of the clip will feed great. My oldest Mark II probably has had over 20,000 rounds through it and has never been taken apart to be cleaned all the way. The only thing I have found is if you try to shoot CCI stingers in it the casing will jam becasue they expand.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Jeff. I think this would be a good christmas gun. Im going to have to talk to my uncle, and see what he will sell his .22-250 for, and then i will go about getting the pistol. Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:50 PM

Ruger makes an extremely well built tank of a Gun and even though it carries a German name, it is built right here at home. The only thing that I do not like is the fact that it does live up to it's German name in the accuracy department. It is not bad, but needs bedding and trigger jobs to increase accuracy. Other than that, if the dope behind the trigger is good then you have no worries. Same/Same with Remington, only I feel better about the American name.. Both solid rifles though!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:50 PM

I just caught you were talking about a hand gun, sorry.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:56 AM
Fork Horn

I have a MkIII Hunter that i love. I put 3 bricks of Federal ammo through it the weekend i got it. 1650 rounds in 3 hours with out cleaning and no jams. It's accurate enough for 50yd head shots on tree rats with iron sights though i put a red dot on it to extend my range a bit. I shoot it at least once a week and haven't had any issues with it. I like the new mag release, it is an improvement over the old release.