Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hey does anyone know anything about the 204 Ruger?? >

Hey does anyone know anything about the 204 Ruger??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hey does anyone know anything about the 204 Ruger??

Old 10-29-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Hey does anyone know anything about the 204 Ruger??

Hey does anyone know anything about the 204 Ruger. I am looking at perchasing a new gun . And want something for the yote and varmit hunting . But that has enough power to take a deer . So let me in on what you know.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hey does anyone know anything about the 204 Ruger??

I don't personally have much to say about it... But it appears I am the only one... I have heard a lot of people raving about it. I just don't really see the need, if you are pelt collecting why not go with the 17 remington or possible the 17 HMR (a little weak in my opining for coyotes). If not you could go with a .223, 22-250, or a gun that you could also hunt deer with. the 204 probably has a little better range then some of the others, and is probably a useful cartridge, I just have not caught the fever... A lot of others have!
Old 10-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

for yote hunt and deer go with a 243. plent of power for deer. it will be a bit more forgiving on shot placement
Old 10-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

Its a great varmint round, but definately NOT for deer. I don't agree with hunting deer with a .22cal, much less a .20cal. Like gopher said, if you want a dual-purpose rifle, go with the .243.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

I apologize Buckmaster... I think I got everyone off of what you were actually asking...

The 204 ruger can reach speeds of over 4,000 feet per second. It is comparable to the 220 swift or 17 remington and is a good choice for varmint or pelt hunting at elongated distances.

It has a very managealbe recoil and has already caught on as a usefull cartridge by almost all the manufacturers... So it is here to stay.

For coyote hunting there is probably not a better cartridge! I am in the same boat and have decided to go with at .223 as that allows me more handloading options and gun options (I would like a semi-auto for coyote). Sometimes I have two or more called in.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:34 PM

204 easier on barrels, magazine I just read, guy was shooting less than 1"moa at 600 yards!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:03 PM

bm my only concern for using the 204 on deer would be bullet construction. Right now there is nothing that I know of that is what I would consider a "deer bullet" available in 20cal. Of several rifles by several makers I shot with in Wyoming this spring at a dealer expo the 204 was the most anticipated by all. We even were "goin long" and firing the lil 204 at a bush in a clearing on the hill behind the range in Cody, WY. The Rangemaster told us it was 950yds away. He later pointed out a steel ram under a tree @ 1k yds. They bet me I couldnt get the 204 up there. After a couple of "feelers" being fired, they lost!!!

LOL now I will admit that the bullet drop and wind-drift were so bad at that range that when sighting the target it was at appx 7oclock and nearly out of the sight picture in a 24 power scope! But it was the lil engine that could. I had already spent several hours puttin shots up there with everything from a 22-250 too a 300SAUM. The 204 really surprised me by its very loud muzzle report and the noise from such a small gun. But keep in mind we were firing from under a steel roof and from atop concrete benches.

The gun is fun to shoot but in all honesty anything that could be done with the 204 could be done with a 22-250 and there are many more bullet selections available in the 22-250. You can get some custom Berger and Barnes offerings that make a hot 22 a viable deer caliber if you are patient enough for nothing but neck shots and the occasional broadside lung only shot on small deer. Drive a 60-80 grain 22cal bullet (like I said they ARE available in the aftermarket) over 3500fps and you would be surprised how surgically precise a "deer rifle" a smallbore can be.

Too my knowledge no one builds such bullets for the 20 yet. I am not sure that there is enough case capacity in the lil 204 (essentially a 222 Rem) to drive bullets over 50 grains at velocities that would make them spell lights out on anything larget than a coyote. The only offerings right now are hyper fragile ballistic tip types that blowup on chipmunks. I wouldnt risk loosing an animal with such equipment. The only shot you "might" kill with regularity on would be right in the ear or through the eyesocket. Thats more un-sportsmanlike "playing" than responsible deer hunting if you ask me.

Good luck,
RA
Old 11-02-2004, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Everyone:

The .204 is a fantastic cartridge. The ballistics of the Hornady 40 gr. surpass those of the 22-250 after about 300 yards. However, I don't know anyone that actually has gotten 4,200 fps+ from the factory 32 grainer, but can reload to higher velocities. I would not use it on antelope, much less deer, but it is an excellent "yote and below" round. Ammunition at $14/box is about the same at premium .223 et. al. but obviously quite a bit more than the military ball ammo. Once fired brass is available on ebay for about $30/100, and will probably be available from the factory later next year.

Good luck.
CE