Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ithaca Deerslayer III

Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Spike

Default Ithaca Deerslayer III

I am considering gettinga deerslayerIIIdoes anyone own a deerslayer II or III and will you tell me how well they perform and out to what ranges yours has performed well at. Thank you
Old 03-19-2008, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ithaca Deerslayer III

My friend has a Deerslayer II, he also owns a Remongton 870 SPS, they both shot just as good, the newer DS III will cost alot of money, I don't think it is worth it. My single shot H&R Ultra Deleuxe is a track driver, and it cost me $250
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 AM

DC,

I own a 12 gauge King's Ferry Deerslayer II and absolutely love it. It will shoot a 3 shot group touching at 100 yds every time with Remington copper solids. One inch high at 100 yds gets me roughly 7-8 inches low at 200 yds. I would be absolutely comfortable out to 150 yds with it. My Deerslayer II is pretty heavy and I only use it out of my ground blind. The Deerslayer III should be even heavier yet. I have taken deer out to 135 yds with one without any problem. My brother has a couple Deerslayer II's from King's Ferry and they are just as accurate. I would love to get a Deerslayer III out of Ohio, but they are over twice the cost of a lightly used Deerslayer II from KIng's ferry, and I doubt they can shoot much better.

KJ
Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

My friend has a Deerslayer II, he also owns a Remongton 870 SPS, they both shot just as good, the newer DS III will cost alot of money, I don't think it is worth it. My single shot H&R Ultra Deleuxe is a track driver, and it cost me $250
That is like comparing a new full size Chevy with all the bells and whistles to a 1970 Datsun with a bad case of body rought.

If you like the Deerslayer then get it. It may cost more money, but it is way nicer than an 870 SPS or a H&R.Its not like your paying morefor the exact same thing.You are paying for better fit and finish, A nice peice of walnut, better trigger, sling swivels, 24 or 26" barrel, and bottom ejection. The Deerslayer II is the lighter one and the reciever is already tapped for a scope.I would buy the Ithaca.

Like the 870 it is also a proven performer. Now if money is a real concern and you know you will trash it than get the 870 SPS.

Besides, every gun will perform differently. I say buy it and enjoy it.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well last time I checked the deer could careless what a gun looks like. I shot my H&R 20ga. alongside a Tar-Hunt 12ga. at 100yards, there was no difference, except for the extra cash in my wallet
Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

JUST SAW THEM AT THE OHIO DEER AND TURKEY EXPO. THEY GARUANTEE 200 YARD ACCURACY AND ALSO 4 SLUGS INSIDE OF A PAPER PLATE AT 100 YARDS IF YOU GET THE Nikon scope BDC they mount. Your looking list around $1200-14-- dollars. They are being built in Ohio. Love seeing american made Ithaca back again.