Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ithaca Deerslayer III >

Ithaca Deerslayer III

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ithaca Deerslayer III

Old 12-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ithaca Deerslayer III

We don't have a Canadian distributor for Ithaca yet. So my question is; Does anyone own one and what do they think of them? 12 or 20 ga any preferences and are they as accurate as they claim?

Thanks all.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ithaca Deerslayer III

I bought a 20" DSII 2 years ago when the new company got started. Dont ask me what I was thinking, paying 1k for a pump[:@]???? But I did, and believe it or not, I actually got the 1st one to leave the factory, ser. # 003 and the prez. of Ithaca sent me a letter!

Although I was always a 37 fan, let me tell you, this was the worst gun money I ever spent. At 1st I thought it was a pretty good looking gun ,and I was so stoked about getting the 1st and the letter, so I wrote them a email saying how good I thought it was, but I soon became very disappionted. The trigger was very heavy, I sent it back and they lightened it alot but it still wasnt any better than the H/R I had the year before. The gun kicked so bad, the thumbhole stock kept loosening from the reciever! The deer engraving was cheezy as hell, and the accuracy wasnt too good either, about 3" at 100 w/ Win PGs.

The worst thing about the gun was, it had to go back to the factory 2 more Xs, because the action bars would jam after the shot for some reason, and I had to turn it upside down and shake it hard to get it to cycle another round, so it was basically a single shot during the 06" season. The 1st time they said it was a "burr" and that they fixed it, but they didnt and when I sent it back, they said it was fine, so after alot of frustration in the woods, and at the range,I sold it for 1/2 what I paid.[:@]

I hate to bash Ithaca ,an american icon IMO but,If you want my advice , save yourself 5 or 600$ and get a H/R USH or a savage 210 for an accurate slug gun.

Hmm, I just went to the Ithaca site to see if they were still in biz, I see they are but theyve changed ownership ...AGAIN? When I bought mine in 06', the owners name was Craig marshall ,now I see some guy named Dave dublak owns the co. I dont know how much that means to the quality of the gun, but remember since the Kings ferry factory closed, the Ithaca has gone through many different ownerships and managements, IMO for the kind of guns they sell, they just cant compete in todays pumpgun market, so you might want to think about that before laying a grand down on a pump. What if your gun has a problem?Are they gonna go bankrupt for the 5th time and close before you can get it fixed?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

DeerandbearhoG

Thank you for your assessment. It is truly unfortunate that you got a lemon. They certainly look the part though????

Anyone else?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

While I hate to hear someone had such problems with a gun I love, let me provide the exact opposite review:

I've had my DeerSlayer gun for several years now. Probably since around 2004-ish? I sight in at 150yards with around 2" groups. I have had absolutely no problems with the gun at all. The trigger is smooth & predictable. Mine has the Realtree camo pattern dip on it.

I have a second Ithaca bird gun.

Both have had no problems, and if I needed a shotgun, I would definately look into a Deerslayer III.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TSR6

While I hate to hear someone had such problems with a gun I love, let me provide the exact opposite review:

I've had my DeerSlayer gun for several years now. Probably since around 2004-ish? I sight in at 150yards with around 2" groups. I have had absolutely no problems with the gun at all. The trigger is smooth & predictable. Mine has the Realtree camo pattern dip on it.

I have a second Ithaca bird gun.

Both have had no problems, and if I needed a shotgun, I would definately look into a Deerslayer III.
TSR6,Your gun came from king ferry factory,they were good guns made right, from the old Ithaca factory milling machines, the new guns made after 06 are made in a completely new factory, under a few different owners and management. Although they are the same design they are very differnt company and product I believe. The new co. is just too unstable and "shady" and the product just isnt the sameIMO. I dont know about now, but 2 years ago they were struggling to fill orders which were only taken after guns were paid for, in otherwords there wasnt a distributer , they took orders and whenever the gun was ready, it was shipped to buyers FFL holder of choice. I got lucky,but alot of people on SGW forum said they were getting jerked around.

If you really want one, have you considered buying an used, older production DSII like TSR6 has? I know the new ones look good on the site, but the only real difference, as far as design goes, is the slightly longer bull barrel on the DSIII, youll save alot of $ and the kings ferry dsII has the free floated, fixed barrel just like the new ones.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

TSR6 and DeerandbearhoG

Thanks for the info. Used is not out of the question. Ithaca's just aren't all that popular up here. Maybe back in the 70's but not now. Good to know about the DS II's though.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 03:30 PM

HuntAway,

My only experience is with the Kings Ferry Deerslayer II, and I'll tell you it has been a phenomenal gun. Mine has the 25" barrel and will shoot 3 shots touching at 100 yardsand runshalf the price of a new Deerslayer III. My brother has 2 of them that shoot just as well. Sighted in 2" high at 100 yds puts me about 7" low at 200 yds with all shots easily within an 8" pie plate. The deerslayer III is a whole lot heavier gun, and I'm not sure you'll get any better accuracy. I've seen new Kings Ferry Deerslayer II's every once in a while for around $575. All Ithaca 37's are built to last, so you can't really go wrong with whatever you choose.

KEJ
Old 12-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks ChazyKEJ.

A question for anyone. Are the barrels fixed like a rifles or do they come off like any normal shotgun?
Old 12-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

Thanks ChazyKEJ.

A question for anyone. Are the barrels fixed like a rifles or do they come off like any normal shotgun?
A "deerslayer II"(orIII) regardless of which factory, has a fixed , free floating barrel. in other words the barrel is threaded to the receiver w/ no barrel lug ring, sorta like a remington 760 rifle. This gives it a accuracy advantage over a pump shotgun w/ a conventional removable barrel, which moves slightly when shot.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks DeerandbearhoG,

Are other pump or semi slug guns manufactured with that kind of barrel system? i.e. Browning BPS pump or Deer Slayer semi.

Sorry for being a pain. I'm just not familiar with slug guns.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Ithaca Deerslayer III

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.