Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Ejectors vs. Extractors >

Ejectors vs. Extractors

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ejectors vs. Extractors

Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 PM

Default Ejectors vs. Extractors

Well i went out chasing crows this morning and was largely disappointed. I borrowed a buddies mossberg o/u. While my spartan is getting a mid bead put on it. Im used to shooting an o/u with ejectors but this thing only has extractors. Ive shot it a fair bit at trap skeet and sporting clays, so im familiar with the gun. Today tho in a more so hunting experience i decided id probably trash the gun if it were mine. Its cold here, believe me like 16 below yesterday. So needless to say i was wearing gloves. Its dang hard to grab the rim of a shell with gloves on when it only pops it out like a quater of an inch. Anyway, somewhat a venting session and hope it may bring light to someone throwing around the o/u idea.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Default RE: Ejectors vs. Extractors

It's pretty hard to do anything with gloves on. I feel your frustration.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's pretty hard to do anything with gloves on.
When you live in a really cold climate,you would be surprised just how good you can get with gloves on.We had -43(-50 with wind chill) a couple of weeks ago,and we had to work outside as usual.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

It's pretty hard to do anything with gloves on.
When you live in a really cold climate,you would be surprised just how good you can get with gloves on.We had -43(-50 with wind chill) a couple of weeks ago,and we had to work outside as usual.
Did some exploratory drilling and water sampling in Northern Michigan 2 weeks ago. It was -17F when we started the rigs in the morning, got up to 6F late afternoon. You don't touch anything without gloves on, unless you want to lose some skin.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did some exploratory drilling and water sampling in Northern Michigan 2 weeks ago. It was -17F when we started the rigs in the morning, got up to 6F late afternoon. You don't touch anything without gloves on, unless you want to lose some skin
After -43,that would be a nice winter day.Seriously,I do most of my work with gloves on in cold weather,but I do often have to work bare handed in very cold temperatures on small components.It isn't comfortable,but it can be done.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hell I have to let the truck warm up for 10 minutes if there is frost on the windshield.

Cold or no cold... when it comes to break action guns... ejectors... period... for me.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Funny you couldn't dump the empties out? The CAS shooters do it all the time with their SxSs. You just open it and jerk it back smartly and they usually pop righ out. I personally prefer extractors over ejectors especially for hunting so I don't leave empties all over the farmer's field or outside the waterfowl blind.
You may want to consider gloves similar to the Arctic Shield System glove. Its a thin inner glove with a heavy outer glove that folds back to expose the fingers and also the thumb if you want to.