Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Anyone believe in high-velocity killing power? >

Anyone believe in high-velocity killing power?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Anyone believe in high-velocity killing power?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone believe in high-velocity killing power?

I've never had deer do anything but flop when I hit them in the right spot. Doesn't matter whether it was with a .17, 204, 7-08 or what. Bang, flop. I think bullet performance has almost little or nothing to do with it. As long as the bullet gets to where it was intended it has performed. I don't care about how much it expands or whatever. As long as it gets there, it performed.
When using the nosler partition,I found that deer tended to run a bit after being hit.When I used the ballistic tip,they fell on the spot,or within a few steps.In my opinion,bullet performance has a lot to do with it.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dad always said speed kills.

I drive my bullets as fast as they will go while maintaining safe pressures and accuracy. Reason bigger wound channels and flatter trajectory. IME the bigger the wound the less they travel. Of course the quint essential is selecting the proper toolfor the task and shot placement. I certainly wouldn't pick a 22-250 at 4000fps to hunt deer over a .308win at 2800fps. Just as I wouldn't pick a NBT in my 7mm rem mag for hunting moose/elk either, though I would (and do) use a 140gr Barnes TSX that leaves the muzzle at over 3200fps for moose/elk. I match the bullet to the task and then drive it as hard as it will allow into the vitals.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

"I've never had deer do anything but flop when I hit them in the right spot. Doesn't matter whether it was with a .17, 204, 7-08 or what. Bang, flop."

+1

Hitting them in the right place makes all the difference. Meanwhile the search for the magic bullet that will turn a gut shot into a bang flop 100 percent of the time continues.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

I'll say it again, my friends. A LOT of any effect has to do with BULLET PERFORMANCE and the frame of mind of the animal in question....not just whatever numbers we want to toss around. There is a whole list of things that need to click for any of this work. We cannot answer this question with formulas. Probably all of us have witnessed glaring exceptions to both sides of the argument.

I've never had deer do anything but flop when I hit them in the right spot. Doesn't matter whether it was with a .17, 204, 7-08 or what. Bang, flop. I think bullet performance has almost little or nothing to do with it. As long as the bullet gets to where it was intended it has performed. I don't care about how much it expands or whatever. As long as it gets there, it performed. You asked about shock... you got an answer... sorry you didn't like it.
In other words, Swamp, we can all hunt with FMJs and get the same results?

Have you ever hunted anything besides ducks?

All those who don't believe bullet performance has anything to do with killing raise their hands.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

From what you just discribed no. It sounds like you hit the femoral arttery and it was put down by reped loss of blood press and thus no oxygen to the brainor musslesAK anfalatic shock. And at 500 plus yards what is your impact velocity? Say 1700-2000 fps which gose to show it is not th shock of the bullet. Just a good 100% wound, the bullet exited, it did all it could do where you put it.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

No thats not right.
Lets take a 40gr lead bullet shot from that 22lr at 1200fps. And that same lead 40gr bullet loaded in the 22-250. The Lr will make a longer wound because it will hold together better than the explopoding on impact load we just made. Testing on geletin and jugs of water have proven this time and time again. And on very large African game the slower big bores are more effective than small bore are.Thats .308 and smaller mags. And they have laws in place for this reason. As for the lead bullet in the 22-250 it can't be done even the lighter jacketed 22 cal bullets have come apart at 22-250 velocies just encountering air let alone game. Heavy for caliber bullets out penitrate light for caliber bullets and for each individual cartridge they are slower.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:49 PM

TJEN - Anaphylactic shock has nothing to do with bullets. It's a severe allergic reaction some people have to certain things, like bee stings or food allergies.

And I'm thinking you haven't shot many 22/250s. I own one and have shot it (and my brother's 220 Swift) with all weights of bullets and I've NEVER had one come apart due to air resistance. That's an old wive's tale.

Granted you'll never get a swagged .22 LR slug up to that velocity in a .22/250...wrong diameter for starters. When I suggested people compare the 40 gr 22 LR with a 40 gr from .22/250 it was never my intent to suggest a literal swap of the bullets. There are a couple here who suggest velocity makes no difference and one at least who thinks bullet performance makes no difference. Both notions are pure horse feathers.

I once heard another absurdity in a gunstore one day when a fellow was telling me his bullets "went too fast to open up or expand."

As for the length of the wound channel......that depends on what the bullet does. And I have seen largefragments of bullets that actually blew up come out the other side of deer...something you will rarely ever see a .22 LR do. I've shot large jackrabbits with a 243 and seen my bullet go through the animal like an AP. (And I don't think they were going too fast to open up.) And for those who don't think bullet performance makes any difference, those rabbits staggered off a ways before they fell over and died. When the same bullets did decide to perform and open up, they almost blew the rabbit in half. Obviously those rabbits were dead before they hit the ground.

We need to be careful about making sweeping statements about what bullets can and can't do. Sometimes this can be very far from fact. JMHO
Old 02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt deer with a 243 or my 308 and with the same shot at a broadside animal to the shoulder I find the same results,a dead deer laying where it was standing.I beleive that to many variables are involved in making this judgement to say that more power is better.At longer ranges beyond 300 or so yards,that faster calibers capable of shooting heavy enough bullits to retain energy clearly do a better job,but this is not as evident at shorter ranges,because dead is dead,and most calibers capable of shooting a 150 plus grain bullit at around 2800 fps or faster is capable of on the spot kills on deer and smaller bullits at 3200 fps or faster can do the same.This is only my opinion,my friend shoots a 7mm mag.but he didnt recover his deer last year after knocking it down it got up and run off,so no matter what you shot power can'not make up for poor shot placement.This is my opinion on this subject,some may beleive more is better,and I agree when it involves money!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I'll say it again, my friends. A LOT of any effect has to do with BULLET PERFORMANCE and the frame of mind of the animal in question....not just whatever numbers we want to toss around. There is a whole list of things that need to click for any of this work. We cannot answer this question with formulas. Probably all of us have witnessed glaring exceptions to both sides of the argument.

I've never had deer do anything but flop when I hit them in the right spot. Doesn't matter whether it was with a .17, 204, 7-08 or what. Bang, flop. I think bullet performance has almost little or nothing to do with it. As long as the bullet gets to where it was intended it has performed. I don't care about how much it expands or whatever. As long as it gets there, it performed. You asked about shock... you got an answer... sorry you didn't like it.
...Deleted by CalHunter...

Absolutely you can kill deer with FMJ bullets. A lot of the guys I hunted with SC used their high power match ARs with Berger bullets. You are just going to have to learn how to shoot and not use violently expanding bullets as a crutch for your inaccuracy. Not that you are inaccurate or anything....

Yes I hunt things other than ducks. I've been culling deer on farms, golf courses and neighborhoods for the last 8 years. There has not been a calendar year in the past 8 that I have not personally shot at least 40 deer, some during the season when everyone gets to hunt, but most during the late winter and late summer. This is acctually prime time of the year for us; though most of my shooting now-a-days is with the bow through the urban archery programs. Done at night a lot of it, all of it legal on kill permits (DCAP). I've seen what lots of bullets can do to deer, and from lots of different calibers. Trust me, if you put a bullet right where it needs to go, a deer won't do anything but pile up.... but all of those shots involve the brain or the nervous system. So in your eyes that might not count. And yes, I guess I don't know anything about hunting... which is why I get paid to do it....

So again I make my statement that it doesn't matter whether you shoot a deer in the brain with a FMJ or a Nosler Partition or an A-Square.... the result is going to be the same if the bullet goes where it was intended to go.

Your insulting comments only show how mad you are about not being completely 100% on target. Its not that what you said is wrong, its just that there is much more to it than that. Bullet performance does matter if you are shooting deer behind the shoulder (which is where you are supposed to shoot them with a bow... not a rifle... not if you don't want to track them some of the time). You make 300+ posts in just over a month and suddenly you are mister information........Deleted by CalHunter...
Old 02-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

And for those who don't think bullet performance makes any difference, those rabbits staggered off a ways before they fell over and died. When the same bullets did decide to perform and open up, they almost blew the rabbit in half. Obviously those rabbits were dead before they hit the ground.

We need to be careful about making sweeping statements about what bullets can and can't do. Sometimes this can be very far from fact. JMHO
If you cannot kill a jackrabbit... how in the hell do you propose to kill a deer? I thought Texans could shoot with the best of 'em? Hell my nephew shoot rabbits dead on the spot with a single shot .410... here you are banging away with a .243 and coming up short. I don't think bullet performance is your problem bro... I think its bullet placement.

Quick Reply: Anyone believe in high-velocity killing power?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.