Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

EXPLOSION?????

Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default EXPLOSION?????

Has anyone had a bullet just explode on you. I had one sitting in the middle of my chevy blazer. I dont know if it was static shock or electrical or what? I got in and slammed the door and KABOOOOOOM. the shell exploded, filled the car up with smoke,shattered my windsheild. Scared the crap out of me. I bet that would have really hurt if it hit me or my buddy(sitting in the passenger side). I have a witness. Primer never went off or nothing- still got that lucky bullet i guess?HAS THIS EVER HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE?????????
Old 02-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: EXPLOSION?????

I have no clue what might have done it.

I have seen such things happen, but there was always an outside source. My boss at the old gun shop had a few shells get wet during a duck hunt and got some rust on the brass.... took one back to the gunsmith shop and put it on the wire bristle brush and somehow managed to cook it off in his hands. Didn't even burn him... I guess the powder was wet or something.... pretty lucky in my eyes.

I'd suggest keeping your ammo in a better place. Luck is often fleeting.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Spike

Actually, the bullet would probably not have had enough energy to do much damage at all. Since there was no case support, and no barrel to force the bullet through, the pressure dissipated rather quickly and the bullet wouldn't have had time to build up any really significant velocity. At least not as much as it would if the round had cooked off while chambered in the weapon.

Was this old/new ammo? Are you sure the primer is ok?

That is one of the first accounts I've ever heard of a round going off all by itself with no outside interaction (hitting the primer, heating the case up with a wire wheel/grinder, direct electrical current heating it up, etc)...
Old 02-14-2008, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never heard of this either but my guess is it was probably static electricity. This time of year it builds up quickly in a vehicle. It ignites gas so why not gunpowder? A good reason to keep your ammo stored in proper containers and not laying around.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 PM

I'll just have to see this one to believe it.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:27 PM
bigcountry

Actually can't be static electricity. The brass and bullet acts as a faraday protection, and no way for it to arc inside unless shaking the cartridge fast enough to build potential inside. Only way static electricity can do it, is if it heated up. I would say had something to do with the primer.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pic's Please..........[]
Old 02-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds pretty odd to me .I live out here in the desert , and have had ammo in a closedauto over 180 degrees and never had any go off or burn up . Maybe it was just 1 of those freak things that occure for no identifiable reason . I don't leave the ammo in the autos any more though that oven thermometer scared hell outta me .
Old 02-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

i replaced the windshield, i would have got pulled over while driving if it didnt get fixed.. I got the bullet and casing still. THe primer looks perfect. The bullet was one year to two years old. I couldnt figure it out either. I dont know either, but its pretty tough to brake a windsheild-easy to bust up a face. I just wanted to see if this happened to anyone else????I dont keep them in vehicles any more.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Post us up a picture of that shell Mike... depending on exactly how it ruptured we might be able to figure it out. Bigcountry is pretty smart about stuff like this.

Quick Reply: EXPLOSION?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.