Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

EXPLOSION?????

Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM

Default RE: EXPLOSION?????

I used to dump old ammo and stuff I screwed up loading into my burn barrel out back of the house. You would be amazed at how long these bullets would lie inside a blazing inferno before they started cooking off. And when they blew, I don't think any of them would have shattered a windshield. I just ain't buying this tale. And I know law enforcement guys who carry hundreds of rounds of ammunition around in the trunk of their cars year around where the temp must get pretty hellish...not to mention constantly being bounced around...not to mention the fact the ammo us surrounded by trunk mounted radio gear. It just don't happen folks.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somebody may have smoked their lunch here.....
Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 PM

Only way for that to go off is for something to hit the primer with something..

Thats the best tale i've heard in a long time....You should put in on the TV..

Myth Busters ...
Old 02-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Typical Buck

Haven't ever seen this,but I aint never seen a UFO or bigfoot and I've been in the woods or on the lake my whole life and at night I look at the same stars in the same sky,but I'm still looking.Anything is possible.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:17 PM

I don't believe it! Had to have struck the primer!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

well it happened PERIOD... it was just sitting their. no one touched it or bumped it.n THATS the fact.I posted pics ik wish they would be better.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM

I've looked looked at the pictures posted and would offer these comments.

1. The caseis obviously very old or at least in very poor condition. You've had to steel wool it just to get past the corrosion just to get down to the original brass. This makes me ask WHY in the devil would you even consider shooting crap like that in your rifle? That round of ammo should have been tossed long ago. It quite likely would have done worse damage to you if you had fired it in your rifle.

2. The phenomenon you are describing here, i.e. slamming a car door and detonating a round of ammunition, could only occur if the nitro separated from the cellulose and gave you something similar to the old thing of "sweating dynamite." Seperate out the nitro and then you've got a touchy situation.

3. If the round was resting on the car seat as you describe, I find it hard to believe it received any "jolt" significant to set it off simply because you closed the car door. Resting on a padded and spring supported car seat surely dampened anything and everything.

4. The case looks just exactly like the crap that was left when I tossed an old or defective round in my burn barrel. They ultimately cook off and blow exactly like your photo...leaving the same object behind. And frankly I suspect this is the true source of your "exploding bullet."

Sorry...I'm still calling bull**** on this one.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:59 PM

I've loaded thousands of rounds, crushed primers, cases etc.Many off us have a box of rimfire in our glove compartment and I even have loose centerfires laying around. I have dropped rounds on the ground many times over the years. The cartridge in the picture has definitely gone off outside of a chamber, but I don't buy the going off by itself.Also looks to be WWI or WWII vintage ammo that does not belong anywhere but disposed of.A forceinduced the firing of the cartridge, be it impact, heat etc. Centerfire cartridges are very very safe! With the current push to now attack and regulateammunition by lawmakers, any input to society that helps them believe the rounds are unsafe is not responsible.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want to see a picture of the shattered windshield. Any bullet/explosion that can shatter tempered glass (especially that of a windshield)..... geezzz
Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

i got a witness of this happpening.Shells tarnish after just a year.ITs brass. They tarnish easy. If it was in a fire wouldnt it have melted????The reason i tried to polish it because i had it in the bottom of a box that spilled stuff and it was all junky. I used one of those scotcth brite pads. The shell was not on the seat it was in the middle console. THe only thing i can think of is that a power from a cigarette lighter made it to it and blew it up somehow. I had coins their. i guess it was possible to go all through those coins and to the bullet. I thought about seeing if the primer would go off. I bet it still would. I guess just to hit it with a hammer. That would prove it wasnt in a fire right?

Quick Reply: EXPLOSION?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.