Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Favorite Weatherby Cartridge >

Favorite Weatherby Cartridge

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Favorite Weatherby Cartridge

Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Weatherby Cartridge

But you know, that Weatherby cartridges have an inherent magic associated with them, as soon as the bullet fired from a Weatherby case hits an animal, it has no choice but to kill over dead. Most of the time, you can just tell the beast that you are hunting it with a Weatherby, and it will kill ITSELF.
The Weatherby cartridges offered a decent increase in velocity over their competition back in the days that they came out. Getting 150-200fps more out of a 300Wby than a 300Win got people excited. That's equivalent to going from a 308Win to a 30-06. I don't know why people feel the need to make fun of Weatherby.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I would take a 330 Dakota,

Yeah me too... infact.... I did!

I really like Weatherby's rifles, though I don't care for too many of his calibers. If I had to pick a favorite it would be a 338-378.

I do think, however, that his cartridges were historically major advances and acheivements in ballistics and theory. I think they lead to what many call magnumitis in some cases, but his theories, practices and so forth are definately of great historical merit.

Right now my favorite Weatherby caliber is a .22 L.R.!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I suppose you can chamber a rifle other than a dakota in a .330 dakota? though I think we're comparing a $7000 rifle to that of a $1000 rifle? I do like that the .330 doesn't have a belt, though I believe the ballistics of the .340 wby are a tad more impressive.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I suppose you can chamber a rifle other than a dakota in a .330 dakota? though I think we're comparing a $7000 rifle to that of a $1000 rifle? I do like that the .330 doesn't have a belt, though I believe the ballistics of the .340 wby are a tad more impressive.

You can make em $7000.... in fact you can make them a heck of a lot more than that...but you don't have to. I don't know what the price is now, but when I bought my first one in 2005 it ran me about $3300 tax, tag, title, shipping, insurance, ammo, everything. Sold it for $4500, kept $100 worth of brass.. Second one I bought for $2800... did without iron sights and the quarter rib, already had the ammo. That is about as bare bones and inexpensive as they come. For the quality of rifle you get, it is unbeatable.

As to getting it chambered in a rifle other than a dakota.... yes and no. You won't see any major company do it, as its proprietary to dakota. But certain gunsmiths will work with you. I have heard of folks getting them made on agreements where they will buy the gunsmith the reemer and he will do the work.

And by a "tad more impressive" if you mean 50 fps across the board, but with more powder, less efficency, a longer action and MUCH MUCH more recoil... then yeah you'd be right.

Really beautiful part of that 330 dakota is it kicks like a 30/06 and hits like a 375 H&H... sounds like one too. And while weatherby makes a fine fine rifle.... Dakota takes them in spades... and this is from the guy who won a free weatherby and paid $2800 for the dakota he has now. And by the way, as someone who has shot just about every Weatherby caliber... I have yet to see a weatherby caliber even come within an inch of 3 shot group accuracy of what the dakotas can do. You do get what you pay for.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

I've always admired the 270 Weatherby, maybe because I'm a 270 fan. But if I were to buy one today it would be a 257 Weatherby.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

rechecked, model 76......starting around $5000-$7000 base price + extras. No doubt a dakota should shoot better, if it didn't I'd be mad, don't own one yet, but again like I said, $1200 vs 5-7grand? Not sure how sub MOA a dakota will shoot, esp once youre talking over .308 calibers.....for a 3 shot group. So I think we're comparing apples and oranges is all I'm saying. I suspect dakota probably loads their ammo to more exact standards, though weatherby I suspect is no slouch either. I've shot my .340 out of the box no scope, it kicked, but no worries, i have a browning .270 which i suspect kicks very similar to what it would chambered in .30-06 and i barely feel it. I hear dakota's design helps recoil. who knows. I tend to think big calibers kick. I've yet to find a rifle to kick/intimidate me, so far though I've only shot up to .338 calibers. Also I heard the .338 RUM kicks more than the .340, which again, mine didn't kick significantly hard, in fact less than my .300 win mag and that was without the additional weight of a scope. Also will dakotas always be around? maybe bought out when founders get old? I worry about proprietary cartridges fading into existence. Not much of a worry with weatherby. Though at least to me, dakota seems to be one of the more well known of these. Though I'm sure many guys have never even heard of a dakota....
Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also read that dakota makes/sells most of its rifles in cartridges other than it's own. Not sure I see the need to choose one of their cartridges over someone elses either. If I were to get a dakota today, it would be chambered in .458 Lott.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I owned a 257-Weatheby Accumark. I never could get great accuracy out of this rifle. I sold it after two years of sub standard accuracy results at long range.
Currently I own a Sako M-995 that is chambered in 340-Weatherby. I love this rifle. IF I had to sell all my guns except one?
I would keep the 340-Wby.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned the 257wby and the 300wby.I liked the 257wby,but prefer the 300ultra mag over the 300wby.I was very disappointed in the accuracy of both markV rifles.If I was to own another 257wby,it would be built on a remington action.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

rechecked, model 76......starting around $5000-$7000 base price + extras. No doubt a dakota should shoot better, if it didn't I'd be mad, don't own one yet, but again like I said, $1200 vs 5-7grand? Not sure how sub MOA a dakota will shoot, esp once youre talking over .308 calibers.....for a 3 shot group. So I think we're comparing apples and oranges is all I'm saying. I suspect dakota probably loads their ammo to more exact standards, though weatherby I suspect is no slouch either. I've shot my .340 out of the box no scope, it kicked, but no worries, i have a browning .270 which i suspect kicks very similar to what it would chambered in .30-06 and i barely feel it. I hear dakota's design helps recoil. who knows. I tend to think big calibers kick. I've yet to find a rifle to kick/intimidate me, so far though I've only shot up to .338 calibers. Also I heard the .338 RUM kicks more than the .340, which again, mine didn't kick significantly hard, in fact less than my .300 win mag and that was without the additional weight of a scope. Also will dakotas always be around? maybe bought out when founders get old? I worry about proprietary cartridges fading into existence. Not much of a worry with weatherby. Though at least to me, dakota seems to be one of the more well known of these. Though I'm sure many guys have never even heard of a dakota....
Mine is a 97.... which apparently they are now doing away with. The final limited production run was with SS barrels, and went for $3900. That sucks for anyone on a budget.