Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Favorite Weatherby Cartridge >

Favorite Weatherby Cartridge

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Favorite Weatherby Cartridge

Old 02-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Weatherby Cartridge

I like the 300 Wby. Very versatile. Shoots flat and hits hard. 150gr for deer/antelope and 180 for bears/elk/moose. The bigger Wby kick a little too much for most shooters.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

My Fibermark SS in 270 Win. with Fed. Premium 130gr is my favorite rifle of all time........PERIOD. It's a fine USA made piece of machinery. No Sauer, Ruger, Browning, Winchester, or Remington I've everhad will outshoot it from the bench. Not a big fan of Weatherby Cartridges, but their MK V rifles are among the best out of the box. I may have gotten one in a million, but it's the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. That says a lot. I've had Sauer 202 270, Remington 7 308, Winchester Featherweight Classic Stainless 7mag, Browning ABolt Stalker 308, Browning BAR 30-06, & 7mag, Ruger 77RL 308 & 270. None compare. I also like the short bolt throw. I'm sold on my MK V.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: CommonSense

ORIGINAL: haugenna

My vote is for 30-378. I am not going to get involved with all the other junk said.
Can't say I blame ya, it was anything like your other posts, you wouldn't get much accomplished anyway
no comment
Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 PM

The only one that would interest me is the 30-378. But I'd just as soon not waste the money. Weatherby is way too expensive.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned and shot
2-257 Wby Mag rifles
1-7mm Wby Mag rifle
1-340 Wby Mag rifle
1-300 Wby Mag rifle

I did not care for the 257's. They were flat shooting, but I did not care for the cartridge's ability on deer. I had several deer make some longer runs after a shot, with little blood trail. The other WBY cartridge's were awesome performers on deer and elk.

I do not know whether Roy was a genius or not. I know a lot of the mfrs. are mimicking his cartridges as far as performance are concerned. But they are 20 to 30 years behind him.

A fellow above mentioned USA made Mark V's. Most of the Mark V's were not made in USA. His may have been-I do not know, but most were not. Roy made beautiful, classy, high performing rifles, and he made them 20 to 30 years before any one else.

I also have a Mark V in 30-06 that I bought in 1978 for $300. I would not take a thousand for it now. They hold their value very well. Tom.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 300 WbY Sako L691 that I have hunted with for the last fourteen years and wouldn't trade it for anything. More accurate than I am capable of shooting it. Only draw back is when I shoot a deer under fifty yards the deer doesn't realize it is dead and will run fifty yards before expiring. I know it is overpowered for deer, but I carry it when I might have a 200 yard + shot....no guess work out to 300 yards.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread attracted my attention. I know nothing about Weatherby cartridges and never shot one.... So I saw this guy yesterday that I known for some time and he has a Mark V 300 Wby Mag that he’s had for maybe 30 years. Well this guy thinks the 300 Wby Mag was Gods gift to man. I’m telling you, he talked for 20 minutes on how this was the only cartridge to get if and how it does everything. Yes sir this was the answer to all for hunting. All I did was smile and listen...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

This thread attracted my attention. I know nothing about Weatherby cartridges and never shot one.... So I saw this guy yesterday that I known for some time and he has a Mark V 300 Wby Mag that he’s had for maybe 30 years. Well this guy thinks the 300 Wby Mag was Gods gift to man. I’m telling you, he talked for 20 minutes on how this was the only cartridge to get if and how it does everything. Yes sir this was the answer to all for hunting. All I did was smile and listen...

Unfortunately it has similiar ballistics to a 300 win mag , I have killed some animals with a 300 weatherby and they never didseem to be too impressed with what I wacked them with.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Unfortunately it has similiar ballistics to a 300 win mag , I have killed some animals with a 300 weatherby and they never didseem to be too impressed with what I wacked them with.
But you know, that Weatherby cartridges have an inherent magic associated with them, as soon as the bullet fired from a Weatherby case hits an animal, it has no choice but to kill over dead. Most of the time, you can just tell the beast that you are hunting it with a Weatherby, and it will kill ITSELF.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CommonSense

Most of the time, you can just tell the beast that you are hunting it with a Weatherby, and it will kill ITSELF.
LOL...

Quick Reply: Favorite Weatherby Cartridge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.