Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Best Ammunition Manufacturers >

Best Ammunition Manufacturers

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Best Ammunition Manufacturers

Old 02-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Default Best Ammunition Manufacturers

If you had to rate the following Ammunition Companies starting with the best and ending with the worst. Define best in terms of reliability, accuracy, cleanliness.... This is an overall manufacturer quality rating not caliber specific but feel free to elaborate on specific lines or add other manufacturers you have used.

guess you can call this a poll

Remington
Peters
Winchester
Federal
Silver Armory
Black hills
Hornady
Fiocchi
Wolf
Privy Partizan

and how do they compare to military surplus ammunition by the same standards?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:58 PM

Default RE: Best Ammunition Manufacturers

Hornady is the best ive shot. I wish they made ammo in 300 WSM. Other then that it depends on the gun and cartridge. Overall i feel Hornady is the best though.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:34 PM

i know alot depends on the condition of the firearm and storage but i saw everyone one another thread saying remington was bad (in terms of rimfire) so i was wondering what is good and what is better.

so assuming the bore of the rifleis clean and the ammo is fresh out a airtight container which is better which is best and which you would touch with a 10 ft pole?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:00 PM

For Centerfire Rifles i like Hornady, For Rimfire rifles i like Winchester Supreme, For shotgun shells i like Federal. Other then those i really dont care about any of the rest.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I like cci or federal for rimfire ammo. I reload most of my centerfire stuff. I do like hornady and the new federal fusion for hunting. I usually pick up umc(rem) for plinking in my .223 and 9mm. Shotgun, I don't really have a preference.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hornady- Very innovative. They load a lot of 'metric' cartridges and load them correctly unlike any other domestic ammunition company. When I buy ammo these days, its mostly Hornady.

Black Hills- Their match ammo is very good. Their remanufactured ammo is nicely priced and isn't going to blow your gun apart like some of the remanufactured garbage out there.

Federal- Outstanding match ammo, though expensive.

Winchester- AA trap ammo is tops- only because their hulls are the best for reloading. White box ammo was really cheap and decent blasting ammo.

Wolf- cheap (at least used to be) way to keep combloc guns going 'bang.' Not much good for anything else. Their 'gold' line of ammo is made by Prvi Partisan- its good stuff, though not really a bargain. I buy a lot of it in 7.62x54r just for the brass which is both hard to find and expensive.

Fiocchi- Used to have very low priced loadings for .45 and 9mm, not so much anymore, but that's the trend of all ammo. The 9mm from Fiocchi shot better in my Beretta than any other brand of ammo.

Remington- corelokt ammo might be the perfect deer ammo. Remington grossly underloads metric cartridges.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 PM

For shotguns Winchester Buckshot, and Remington small shot

For Centerfire Remington for big game, and Hornady for Varmints

For Rimfire CCI for clean firing game loads, and Eley for targets.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

Hornady
Old 02-11-2008, 04:49 AM
FA
Fork Horn

That's another question like, " Is Ford better than Chevy?". I like Hornady as a personal preference, but I think each manufacture has plus and minises.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 AM

Black Hills Match stuff I find to be the best. At least in most of my rifles. I had excellent results with their .308, and .338 LM, though I was less impressed with their .223 Remanufactured Match stuff. Didn't seem to shoot real well in my gun. But then, like we should all know, every gun isn't going to like the same ammo.
Now I have also been VERY impressed with the Lapua brand Ammo, Norma, and the custom stuff from Dakota Arms.

I refuse to shoot Remington match stuff (rifle) , or wolf of any kind, but I also like, or will shoot Federal GOld Medal Match if that is all I can find. All that depends on whether I run out of Hand loads since in general, those are the best shooting for each of my rifles.

I have nothing against Hornandy ammo as it is well made and accurate. Have see it shoot nice tight groups, just not as well out of my guns as some of the others.

Quick Reply: Best Ammunition Manufacturers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.