Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome! >

Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Does $8.99 sound right for a box of 50 winchester super x 22 magnums? It seems high to me but i never bought 22 mags until now.
Havent bought any of that brand- but most 22.mags seem to be around that price range where&when i was looking at them.
( from what i can tell all ammo pricesseem tobe up could
be im just living in the past tho mentaly)
Ive read a lot of reviews and have come across the same thing. Better than any ruger people have owned.
You may have to update the ppls reviews?

We did have some minor problems with that sp101 357 - but wesent it back & they(Ruger) took care of it free of charge. All the rest we have -revolver & semi autos etc -over the yrs have worked real well.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Does $8.99 sound right for a box of 50 winchester super x 22 magnums? It seems high to me but i never bought 22 mags until now.
I just wish I could get a box for $8.99. They are about 11 bucks here.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:44 AM
c j
Typical Buck

I have a Heritage single-action 22lr/22mag also. Decent little gun -for the money. Mine's been accurate, at least so far. Fun to shoot. However, I wouldn't call it a high-quality firearm. Locks up ALL the time. To the point where you have to manually pop out the cylinder and start all over from scratch.

44 mag seems to be a lot of cartridge for a Vaquero - or is that just me? Could that maybe be partially responsible for the less-than-spectacular groups?

I have a Ruger 44magSuper Black Hawk and the difference in quality between the Ruger single-actions and the Heritage is not even close. I don't currently own a Single-Six, but I've seen enough of them to know that their quality is a level or two above the Heritage also.

Again, I like my little Heritage, despite the lock up issues. When it works, it'sa fun little gun and shoots well. But it's no Ruger. I'd probably trade it sight-unseen for pretty much any single-six/Vaquero/whatever.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:22 AM

I've had a few Rugers with quality control issues, but the Rugers are worlds ahead of the Heritage guns I've examined. They'e an o.k. gun for the money, but not a high quality firearm by any means.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Anyone in here ever do CAS besides me? That would be how to really compare the two manufacturers. From what I've seen in a year of CAS there are alot of rugers and not alot of heritage.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Spike

In all fairness to the poster there is a Heritage model that is solid steel. My home state(SC) does not allow the sale of many alloy type pistols. This solid steel Heritage is a little more expensive,but designed for sale in states with these type restrictions. Some of the ACADAMY Sports stores ads will say solid steel okay for sale in SC on their ads in the newspapers here.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Spike

Oh boy...now I am a fawn. My daughter will like that...Forgive the double post please. I am checking to see if the spelling is corrected in my sig and I uploaded an avatar. Just checkin ...Thank you for your patience....I'm just a lil fawn ya know.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Rough Rider with the 2 cylinders many years ago when they first came out. It was total junk. Granted, I know they have improved some, and they have several models of varying quality, but to put them in the same category as a Ruger, ANY Ruger, is outside my reasoning.

The barrel on my Rough Rider became loose after less than 150 rounds. The Mag cylinder would not reliably discharge, and the timing was screwed up. I paid $72.99 and DID NOT get my money out of it. I sent it back to Rough Rider after the warranty had expired (my bad) and they told me for $125.00 they could make it as good as new. I told them to send it back to me and no thanks. I already had it when it was as good as new and it was junk then, so thanks but no thanks ... I'll save the $125.00.

I received it back and I Loctited the barrel in, use only 22 shorts in it now, have converted the Mag cylinder to a paperweight,and it is actually a much better hammer than it is a pistol. It works fine for chipmunk executions, and for driving nails.

I bought a real 22 pistol in 2003 purchasing a Ruger Super Single Six in stainless with adjustable sights.

I wouldn't buy a Rough Rider in any configuration after my experience, but I have heard they got better. Just not better enough to ever get one and put it in the same gun cabinet with the Ruger.

I gotta go outside and fix the fence ... loose nails ... where's my pistol??

Old 06-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

i have a .357 mag. in Heritage rough rider. I quick draw the gun from my custom rig and shoot it normal with 2 hands on heavy hunting rounds. I would not hesitate to hunt deer with this gun, feel comfortable that I could drop a deer inside 50 yards. I shoot a big rock at 100 yards for fun at the gun range.
chris
Old 06-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't get it. If the original poster likes his Heritage why tinkle in his corn flakes? If you don't like them, don't buy one. SIMPLE.

Quick Reply: Heritage Arms Rough rider is awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.